Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 16, 2006
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer

Cottonwood and Spanish access restriction!!

The Cottonwood Creek trailhead and the Spanish Creek trailhead both have no trespassing signs up that read "No Public Access to National Forest Land," and "Property of the Crestone Zen Monastery."

In speaking with a representative, I was told that access was an ongoing struggle with the Forest Service, and the monastery was concerned that the trailheads were not subjected to overuse (like South Colony), presumably to maintain the general aesthetic of wilderness. He told me that I could gain permission by speaking to a monastery represtentative.

On a personal note, and being unashamed to clearly state my worldview--that being a Protestant Christian who believes in absolute truth and rejects the prevailing spirit of postmodernistic relativism. To me, the entire area felt like a cult--since the entire subdivision seemed to be built around the monastery and its outbuildings. I will steer clear of that area for future hiking. I was dismayed to find this access issue a problem, since I have 50 of the 14ers done, and had hoped to gain two more. Soli Deo Gloria.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4

mmitten - Aug 20, 2006 2:22 am - Hasn't voted

West slope access restriction!!

The Cottonwood Creek trailhead and the Spanish Creek trailhead both have no trespassing signs up that read "No Public Access to National Forest Land," and "Property of the Crestone Zen Monastery." See trip report.

cftbq

cftbq - Aug 23, 2006 10:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Huh?

Well, this sounds like bad news, but that's really not much of a trip report, is it? Is access really blocked? And what's this "Zen Monastery"? I thought something called the Manitou Foundation controlled the only private land that western access to the Crestone group crossed.

rasgoat

rasgoat - Aug 23, 2010 10:03 pm - Hasn't voted

OOKKKAAY

So this place is representing the wrong religion. Maybe if it is made into a Protestant Christian church you will have a better time with the access

SpiderSavage

SpiderSavage - Sep 2, 2010 2:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Religious Intolerance

You disgrace Christianity and the spirit of Christ with your bigotry. Recommend you edit or delete your post and rethink your viewpoint. What would Jesus do?

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Crestone PeakTrip Reports