Mt Morgan Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.80370°N / 71.5663°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1 (Class 3 side cliff option)
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

View of the Squam Lake while...



VIA MOUNT MORGAN TRAILHEAD: From I-93 get of Exit 24 and head east through the town of Ashland. Stay on the road and take 26 east to Holderness. At about 2 miles you will at the town center of Holderness. Make a left onto Route 113 and head roughly 10 minute on the road. there will be parking 5 miles on your left. The Mount Morgan trail will be there in the parking area. This trailhead will be filled on the weekend so get prepared to park on street.



Route Description


The Rattlesnake from Mt....


Mt. Morgan Trail
Elevation Gain: 1450'
Distance 2.1 miles



The trail begins as a very gradual climb through the woods from the trailhead. The trail grade for the next mile or climbs at a gradual to moderate pace until it hits an old logging road. The trail follows it and then goes left up and become much steeper. The trail continues it's steep approach until reaching the Crawford-Ridgepole Trail. It then hits the cliff option on the left (caution when icy). From here there is either the Class 3 climb up the ladder and boulder cave to the summit, or continue up the moderate grades of the Crawford-Ridgepole Trail to a side trail to Mt. Morgan summit and the same cliff view.

Continue on the Crawford-Ridgepole path 0.8 miles and take the Class 1-2 Mount Percival Trail as a loop hike or descend the way you came.

Essential Gear

In summer no major gear is needed to hike Mt. Morgan. However in winter both snowshoes and crampons are highly recommended due to the fact that this trail can become very icy. Be extremely cautious if you are planning on taking the cliff route to the summit in winter. This ladder can become extremely icy.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.