Normal Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.80445°N / 2.85232°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike, some easy climbing in parts
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: easy, I-II in parts
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


At the intersection C710-PM223 follow the latter hundred metres towards Inca to the gas station. Walk on over the bridge an leave the PM223 at the big gate on your right (signpost "Caimari"). Follow the road and after 5min you come to an intersection where you have to turn right sharply (wooden sign on a tree "Massanella"). Walk on until you come to a closed gate, where probably the land owner is already waiting for you to charge a fee "to preserve the wilderness", approximately 4 euros. Now follow the road and watch out for arrows and other markings at a small intersection: take the left road and follow the red markings, sometimes the road will be shortcut by small trails. Finally you will reach a broad saddle, the Coll de Coma Freda (1.030m) with two stone signs indicating the directions to Mancor, Lluc and Puig. Follow the latter to the right up the mountain side.

Route Description


After approximately 15min you'll reach another signpost "Font y Puig" and "Puig y Font". Both ways bring you to the top, but it is easier to follow the latter and use the former for your return (that's the way I describe it here). After another 30min you arrive at the Pla de Sa Neu, the "snow plateau". On this plateau it can be hard to find your way during bad weather, but good weather conditions provided, you can find your own way up. It has one advantage if you try to follow the stone cairns and red dots: you will notice another stone signpost where the two trails "Puig y Font" (that's where you're on) and "Font y Puig" (that's the way for the descent) meet. So remember that stone or try to find it on your descent. Anyway, from there it is just ten more minutes to the top (the peak straight north from the stone is the Massanella). Be careful on the summit, as there's a huge drop of more than 200m at the north edge and right below the summit pole is big hole of approx. 10m depth (I think a hole like this is called "Avenc"), which can easily be overseen if it is foggy.
For the descent, choose the trail marked with "Font" at the stone signpost south of the summit. The trail will loose height quickly and will lead you over rugged limestone formations on your way down. After 15min you will probably arrive at a small sand place with stairs heading downwards into the mountain. This is the Font de S'Avenc which you can explore easily if you brought a flashlight. The water is - during winter time - usually good enough to drink. From the fountain, the trail remains pretty much at the same altitude and will reunite with the other trail after another 10min. Now follow the way downwards you used before to ascend.

Essential Gear


Usual rain gear should be carried with you, good hiking boots are required. Navigation is pretty easy most of the time, but a compass and a good map should be carried with you anyway.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
rufus

rufus - Jul 8, 2007 1:45 pm - Hasn't voted

Wooden sign

In the beginning of the route, the wooden sign, high on a tree (where you have to turn sharply right-up) was illegible (actually nothing on it) when I was there in June 2007. You can easily omit this and go to wrong direction that leads to Caimari.

rufus

rufus - Jul 8, 2007 1:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Coll de Coma Freda

altitude is 832m and not 1030m as in your description.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.