North Ridge via Ladovy Kon (Icy Horse)

North Ridge via Ladovy Kon (Icy Horse)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.19984°N / 20.18372°E
Additional Information Route Type: Advanced Hike (summer) ,Alpine Climbing(winter)
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: I on the edge of Icy Horse ,serious exposition
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The usual start point for climbing in Ladovy massif or taking classic route to the summit of Ladovy Stit(2628) is Teryho Chata Chalet(2015) situated
in a marvellous High Tatra scenery on rocky terraces of the highest section of Mala Studena Valley

The chalet is easily accessible by marked routes leading from Stary Smokovec and Hrebienok through beatiful Mala Studena Valley .
You can also reach it from the north side crossing Sedielko Pass(2372) from Javorova Valley to Mala Studena Valley or possibly
through Priecne Sedlo Pass(2352) from Velka Studena Valley (watch out in high season - it's one way route going in opposite direction to the one offered here ,there should be no problem with it in low season time) .

You can try to stay overnight in Smokovec or somewhere lower and hike to Teryho Chalet from there but it will take You a few precious hours more ,adding walk-up through Mala Studena Valley so the Ladovy climb can be problematic the same day especially when the weather conditions are not stable .
It is much better to get to the chalet day before the main climb .

Route Description


The route via Ladovy Kon (Icy Horse) is a classic route to the summit of Ladovy Stit(2628) used by Tatra tourists and climbers since half of 19th century .

From Teryho Chata Chalet(2015) :

2 km ,620 meters of height difference ,2 1/2 h

Non-marked route ,"legally" only with guide

Difficulty : I on the edge of Icy Horse ,serious exposition

By good visibility You can view majority of the route from the Teryho Chalet area .

Route description :

First You follow 300 meters by green marks to the outflow of Prostredne Spiske Lake . On the bend of the marked trail turn right onto a path going round south and western shores of Velke Spiske Lake . Then You go deeper into the valley by path crossing terraces under NE cliffs of Ladovy massif till You reach solitude ,end of the valley (screes and old snow fields) . Straight to the southern walls of Snehovy Peak(2467) at the height of ca.2230 meters (45 min. from the chalet) You turn left to the wide scree cone (often snow) ,by which You scramble slippery grasses and crumbly screes on the slopes of so called Ladova Priehyba (transferred from Polish : Ladovy's shoulder) till You reach slight lowering of the ridge (ca.2480) between Zadny Ladovy Peak(2507) and the Ladovy Peak summit dome(2628) - (1 3/4 h from the chalet) - great view to the surroundings of Javorova Valley .

Now You turn left (south) and go by the edge of the ridge ,higher ,steeper and narrower with every step reaching at last exposed sharp edge of famous
Ladovy Kon (Icy Horse) . It was a real skill test for Tatra climbers in 19th century .

Taking the horse You move carefully forward 22 meters in extreme exposition with precipices on both sides of the ridge and after that You descend
2,5 meter wall to a little pass (the separate rock at the upper end of Ladovy Kon is also known as Ladovy Zub (Icy Tooth) very uncomfortable place...) .
Then very steep walk-up by huge rocks on the left side of the ridge to gentler terrain of the summit ridge leading in a few moments to the summit .

High Tatra panorama of unspoken beauty in all directions ...

Essential Gear


In good summer conditions (dry rock) : good hiking/trekking boots ,waterproofs ...unsensitiveness for exposition...

In winter when conditions make it possible to climb : crampons ,ice-axe ,rope and the rest of alpine climbing equipment (it's definetely not a tourist route
for winter season !)

High mountain experience absolutely essential

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.