Ochsentaler Gletscher route and S-ridge

Ochsentaler Gletscher route and S-ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.85820°N / 10.09250°E
Additional Information Route Type: Glacier climb and Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: F+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This is the best route to climb the Silvrettahorn from the Austrian side in summer. Start this route at the Wiesbadener Hütte (See main page for details)

It includes an interesting glacier tour to the pass south of the summit (Egghornlücke at 3047m 3 hours). It takes another 1-2 hrs to get to the summit over the S-ridge. The view is spectacular from the summit.

Route Description


First follow the path S of the Wiesbadener Hütte in the direction of Piz Buin and the Vermunt glacier. In front of the Vermunt glacier turn to the right (W) and cross the glacier stream. In 1999 there was a wooden bridge. Then follow the path that goes up the hill with the name “Grünne Kuppe” and pass to the other side at the foot of the Ochsentaler glacier. Get on the Ochsentaler glacier, and pass (direction W) through several crevasse zones to the foot of the steep section of the glacier below the rocks at the E-facing slope of the Silvrettahorn. Gain the glacier below the steep rock-face (S-direction). Then, at the glacier plateau (about 2900m) make a sharp turn to the right (W) and walk up the Egghornlücke. At the pass there is a good flat place to make a material depot, if required. At this stage the rock scramble over the S-ridge starts. There is a faint track and some scrambling over (loose!) rock and scree (grade I-II). Near the summit the S-ridge becomes very narrow with steep rock faces into Switzerland and Austria. Return by the same route.

Essential Gear


This tour requires full glacier travel equipment and skills (ice axe, crampons, harness, rope, and crevasse rescue stuff)

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.