Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.34418°N / 15.50164°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5079 ft / 1548 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Topographic isolation: 4.6 km

Nearest higher peak: Hochlantsch (1720 m)

Prominence: 310 m

Overview

Osser is the second highest peak of the mountain range called Grazer Bergland. It is 1548 meter high. The highest peak of the mountain range is Hochlantsch. The valley of Mixnitzbach separates Osser and Hochlantsch. The valley has a wider section just between the two mountains, with a marshy land there. Teichalm with the lake called Teichalmsee can be found here. Teichalm is a popular tourist destination, with several hiking destinations from there. One of the opportunities is to have a tour to Osser. The mountain has steep hillsides, covered by spruce-fir forests. There are meadows at the hillfoot, along the valley of Mixnitzbach.

Osser
Osser
Foggy weather
Foggy weather
The source of river Raab
The source of river Raab

The spring of Raab can be found here, 1 km east of the peak. The spring is accessible on a marked tourist path. Raab is a well known river in Austria and in Hungary, with a length of 290 km and with a basin size more than 10 000 km2. Raab (called Rába in Hungary) confluences with the Danube at the Hungarian city called Győr. The German name of that city is Raab – the same as the name of the river.

Osser makes part of the watershed of two important tributaries of Danube: the already mentioned Raab and the even more imprtant river Drau. It means that a raindrop falling on the two sides of Osser will have a quite different journey: water on the southern and eastern slope will flow from Austria to Hungary before getting into the Danube, while a raindrop on the northern slope will get from Autria to Slovenia, and then to Croatia where it will get into the Danube.

Portrait
Portrait
Pearls of October
Pearls of October
Erebia
Erebia

Routes

Here are three recommended tours:

Trailhead What to see Distance (with return) Elevation gain
Gasthof Holzmeister Schwoabauerkreuz 4 km 318 m
Angrwirt nothing special 4.2 km 353 m
Passaril Source of Raab 18.6 km 890 m

Red Tape

No red tape. Take care of the cows. And please respect the nature!

A calf on the meadows of Osser
A calf on the meadows of Osser

When to Climb

Any season

Camping

Nearest camping: Camping Almenland, in Tober, at 670 m a.s.l., in 10 km distance from the peak.

Nearest huts:

External Links

My recommended online maps:



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Grazer BerglandMountains & Rocks