Dyneema Contact Sling

 

Page Type Gear Review
Object Title Dyneema Contact Sling
Manufacturer Mammut
Page By Dow Williams
Page Type Sep 20, 2005 / Sep 20, 2005
Object ID 10103
Hits 1934
Vote
This is a product of Mammot, not Marmot.



Leave those old bulky slings at home! Mammut's revolutionary weaving method shaves weight and bulk off your climbing rack.

This sling has a radically narrow 8-mm width and a super-low-profile connection in place of a knot

Computer-guided looms weave the last three inches of the webbing 4mm wider, allowing the 8mm end to be inserted and bartacked in place.



A Mammut label is sewn over the conjoined ends for smooth running and snag-free pulls

Comes in 24- and 48-inch lengths

Weight (48 inch) 29 / (24 inch) 15 grams

Strength 22 kilonewtons




Reviews


Viewing: 1-2 of 2

Dow Williams - Sep 20, 2005 1:07 pm - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I don't know anyone doing a lighter weight runner. On long trips, you appreciate every ounce. This is Mammut, not Marmot, making this runner. Two sizes. They guide the rope as well as anything else I have.

Erik Beeler - Sep 21, 2005 11:47 am - Voted 5/5

Untitled Review
I have been using these runners since the day REI started carrying them. They are thin and light - very light. Looking at them you might wonder "are they safe?" Put one up against Petzl's current dogbones and you would think "no way those can be safe the Petzls are soooo much beefier!" Look close and you would realize that they are the SAME rating - 22KN.

They come in THREE sizes. I have all off them. 12", 24" and 48". REI only sells them in two sizes but the shorter 12" size is great for draws.

Ok those are the PRO's now the CON's.

Well there is only one really so far for me. They twist easy. Hang a biner on them and it turns easy. Often you would find yourself searching for the right twist while on lead. :( I went and got some small strong rubber bands like the ones used on braces and used those to secure the biners at the ends and they now twist a lot less. They still twist some but not nearly as annoyingly.

Still a five star product for me.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2