Pinos and Carrizo Plain

Pinos and Carrizo Plain

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 24, 2009

Mt. Pinos

After almost a week of drinking and beaching it in Cali I ventured out beyond the city and got a little roughed up by Baldy. Despite this I was still determined to take advantage of my last full day in Cali to see the sights and bag a peak. In preliminary planning I had considered hiking Sandstone Peak or Oat Mountain on either side of the San Fernando. Big Pine Mountain in the San Rafael Wilderness jumped out at me from the map. I was puzzled, however, as to why I could not find anything on this peak on SP, it being a county highpoint. Finally, reading some trip reports on COHP.org and seeing how remote the peak is explained the lack of information. I did not feel like a 32 mile round trip day, so I decided to pass on that.

Mt. Pinos stood out on the map as well, being over 8000 ft. The area looked pretty nice, with national forest lands everywhere. The summit could be reached via an easy road walk, and was close by to Carrizo Plain National Monument, which I could check out afterwards. I soon finalized my plans and picked up my rental early Wednesday morning.

I-5 was a pleasant drive once I passed Santa Clarita, winding through a familiar landscape of desert peaks and golden yellow slopes. I stopped at the exit for Pyramid Lake to take a few pictures and take in the scenery, then continued on to Tejon Pass to the Frazier Park exit.


Pyramid LakePyramid Lake


The elevation was higher here, and the road to and past Frazier Park drove through evergreen forests and lush mountain meadows. The area reminded me of Wyoming and Northern Colorado, which was surprising as I was little more than an hour outside of the city. It was a nice corner of the state forgotten by the denizens of LA, since most of them are probably too busy heading up to Big Bear for their walk-in-the-woods fix.

Frazier Park areaFrazier Park area


The road winds slowly, somewhat monotonously, up through the woods and to a giant parking lot on Mt. Pinos. From here it was another quick walk 20 minutes down a dirt road to the summit. It was still early, and under the shade of the pines it was cool, dry, and comfortable. The road gains a few hundred feet along a gentle grade, as you traverse the flat, plateau like summit ridge.

subsummit east of Pinosalong the Pinos summit ridge/plateau
Summit towers on Pinossummit towers
Summit towersapproaching the summit


The summit was nice but marred by the radio towers, which blocked the view south. North one could peek through the tree cover into the Central Valley and Carrizo Plains area. It was a little windy on top, so I didn’t linger long. The walk back to the car went by in no time.

a side trail on the summit ridgeEast from Pinos Summit
northeast into Central ValleyNE
North into Central ValleyNorth from Pinos Summit
West from Pinos SummitWest from Pinos summit
southeast from Pinos SummitSE
SE from Pinos SummitSE


I took the Mt. Pinos Rd back down and continued west on FR 95 through the tiny town of Pine Mountain. This very scenic road wound its way down through the forest and as the trees began to thin at lower elevations I saw some pretty jagged peaks to the south. I figured this was probably Big Pine and the San Rafael Wilderness, and beyond it, Santa Barbara. They looked appealing on the horizon and definitely worth checking out in the future.

Driving down Mt. Pinos Rdalong Mt. Pinos Rd
southwest towards San Rafael WildernessBtw Mt. Pinos and Carrizo Plain

Carrizo Plain

The curvaceous road continued down through the golden hued meadows until CA-166, dropping me off at the southern entrance of Carrizo Plain. I had seen no other cars since passing the town of Pine Mountain, and would see not one other person the entire time I was in the National Monument. The terrain was very unique, as the road initially drives through pretty, yellow sun-baked hills that remind you of Kansas or even the Dakota Badlands. This initial section of the road, I found out later, straddles the San Andreas Fault.

Entering Carrizo Plain from the SouthCarrizo Plain Southern Entrance
near the souther entranceCarrizo Plain NM
San Andreas Fault in the distanceSan Andreas Fault


Eventually the road passes through the hills and enters the plains which is, in actuality, a large valley. Caliente Ridge dominates the view west, and east you can see a lower range as well as the little foothills that mark the path of the San Andreas Fault through the state. The pavement soon ended on the road and I got the rental pretty dusty. It was scorching here in the low valley, and Caliente Ridge to the left seemed to live up to its name. It did look like a very nice hike though, maybe in January.

Caliente Ridge in the distanceCaliente Ridge
curious landscape in Carrizo PlainCarrizo Plain landscape


The visitor center was closed, and Soda Lake was dry. Picking up and looking through some pamphlets, I figured out that the lake was usually dry in the summer. Winter and Spring was when most normal people visited this area. The dry lake bed was still a pretty cool site to see. I walked up to the edge but there was no point in taking the boardwalk trail this time of year. Besides, it was running a little late and I still had to drive back to LA and drop off the car.

Dry Soda LakeDry Soda Lake
Dry Soda LakeDry Soda Lake


I exited the Park through the northern entrance, where I saw the first car other than my own for several hours. CA-58 wound its way through a few mountain passes. I drove through the small communities of Taft and Maricopa, as well as a large amount of gas and oil rigs. Lots of drilling in this part of the Central Valley. You were worlds away from the bustle of LA in this forgotten corner of the state.

The drive back to LA went by quickly, and we ended our vacation at the bars in Hollywood. We pregamed at an apartment nearby, a friend of a friend of a friend’s. We walked up to the roof, where a vista of lights gleamed below us. It was a nice complement to the views and sights I had enjoyed the past few days.

Pinos from afarPinos from Carrizo Plain


Comments

No comments posted yet.


Table of Contents
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
Mount PinosTrip Reports