Piz Blaisun Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.60322°N / 9.86298°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: partly off trail hike with easy rock scramble
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Piz OtPiz Blaisun with south and north ridge; behind is Piz Kesch (24-08-2006)


This is a suggestion for a summer or fall traverse of Piz Blaisun. It needs about half a day if you start from Chamanna Es-cha, a little bit longer if you start from from Albula pass road. It should be possible as a days hike from Madulain in the Engadin valley.

The traverse uses the east ridge for ascent and the north ridge for descent. I think this way is more interesting than the other way round, because the east ridge offers very nice views which can be better taken in while ascending, but I agree totally with you if you say that this is a very personal opinion.

I did this traverse from charming Chamanna Es-cha on a day that was reserved for summiting Piz Kesch but due to rain and bad weather in the morning plans had to be changend.

As - thank God - the weather does not stay really bad for very long in Engadin we were able to do this nice traverse later in the day and I don´t regret it.


Getting There

Piz KeschChamanna Es-cha (22-08-2006)

Starting point is the col called "Gualdauna" (2491 m) in the east ridge of Piz Blaisun.

From Chamanna Es-cha


Follow the trail to Albula pass road, it traverses the Pischa valley and descends about 100 m of altitude difference to reach Gualdauna (about 20 minutes).

You reach Chamanna Es-cha from:

Madulain

follow the signposted forest road up to Alp Es-cha Dadour. Leave the road between Alps Es-cha Dadour and Dadains on a trail which leads up to the very, very recommended, nice little hut.
At Madulain there is a parking area (fee required).

Chamanna digl Kesch

That is the neighbouring mountain hut of the swiss alpine club. The traverse to Chamanna Es-cha requires passing the Kesch glacier to reach Porta d´Es-cha, a 3008 m high notch. On the south side there is a little ferrata until you stumble down through moraine scree and talus to the yet visible hut.

Albula pass road

This is also the ascent to Gualdauna, see below.

from Madulain


Follow the forest road up to Alp Es-cha Dadour and Alp Es-cha Dadains. You have to leave the ascent route to Chamanna Es-cha by doing this. At Alp Es-cha Dadains a trail starts which crosses soon after the Alp the creek Ova d´Es-cha and climbs the northern slope of Val d´Es-cha until it reaches the Gualdauna col.

from Albula pass road


The trail starts at Alps d´Alvra about 2,5 km east of Albula pass. It traverses the south slopes of Piz Blaisun up to the Gualdauna col. You can, I think, leave the car alongside the road.


Route Description

Piz OtPiz Blaisun with south and north ridge, behind is Piz Kesch; as seen from Piz Ot ascent (24-08-2006)

Leave the trails at Gualdauna col and start your steep ascent through meadows up to the point 2868 m of the swiss topo map.

From this point to the summit block of Piz Blaisun follow the ridge cest line. The whole mountain is built up of brown metamorphic slates which crumble easily and form sort of stone styluses.

This part is an easy walk up the ridge with phantastic views of the Bernina glacier mountains (if you have good weather:-)) and the Albula mountains surrounding the Albula pass. The impressive rockface of Piz Kesch stands next to you on your right.

The summit block requires some easy rock scrambling in this metamorphic slates, it never exceeds UIAA grade I. Soon enough you reach the summit slope and arrive at the summit (3200 m) with very good views.
Piz BlaisunAscent on the south ridge, Piz Ot and Albula Pass (21-08-2006)


For the descent use the trails coming up the north ridge from Fuorcla Pischa (2871 m). At Fuorcla Pischa follow the trail in eastern direction down the Pischa valley until you reach the trail from Chamanna Es-cha to Gualdauna col.

Go on to Chamanna Es-cha or descend to Albula pass road via Gualdauna. A descent to Madulain can be made via Chamanna Es-cha, too, this is a nice little alternative route and you can remunerate yourself with a bite and a drink at the Chamanna Es-cha on the sunny terrasse, savouring the beautiful views to the south.


Essential Gear

Piz BlaisunPiz Blaisun summit as seen from the south ridge ascent (21-08-2006)


For Piz Blaisun normal hiking gear is required.

If you come from or intend to go to Chamanna digl Kesch you need a rope, crampons and ice axe due to the glacier passage.


External Links

Piz BlaisunAscent on Piz Blaisun south ridge (21-08-2006)


Montain Huts


Chamanna Es-cha
Chamanna digl Kesch

Accomodations in the Engadin Valley
Central Engadin valley Tourist Information Site

Engadin weather

Avalanche Bulletin

Map

Oberengadin - Engiadin´Ota
Zusammensetzung 1 : 50.000
Landeskarte der Schweiz
Bundesamt für Landestopographie, 3084 Wabern

Those swiss topo maps are surely one of the world best topo maps I ever layed my hands upon ...




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.