Piz Palü Traverse

Piz Palü Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Alpine Climbing

Piz Palü Traverse

After speeding down Ortler we immediately left Sulden and headed into Switzerland. Our goal was to reach the last lift up to the Diavolezza mountain Hut in order to make an ascent the next day. Fortunately, we managed to get to the lift station just in time to take the last lift up to Diavolezza. After a good meal and gazing up to Bernina and co. during the evening we went to bed early in order to make a fresh and early start. Our initial plan was to climb Piz Bernina in a single day from Diavolezza. We knew this would be a very, very long day of climbing in order to make it back to Diavolezza the same day

After crossing the immense Pers glacier and Climbing up the beautiful Fortezzagrat our plans changed. We decided to bail on Bernina and make a traverse of Piz Palü , a true classic! This would save us at least 3 hours of climbing and the route might even be nicer. The traverse, from West to East, requires climbing all 3 summits of Piz Palu. The first one consists mostly of rock climbing, the second (main) and third go over glaciated terrain. The weather was great and it was awesome to stand on an important mountain as Piz Palü . My thoughts were with Cyrill Ruegger, who tragically died in an avalanche on this mountain. Rest in peace Cyrill.. We miss you here on SP...

After Climbing the third and last summit descent back to Diavolezza was long and tiring. I was feeling tired from the Ortler climb the day before, combined with racing to Diavolezza and of course this climb. Still, I was feeling very happy about our succesful climbs of both the Ortler Hintergrat-Normal Route and Piz Palu Traverse. After reaching the Diavolezza station we got back to our car and drove to Pfunds in Austria for some more hiking/climbing in the following days. But first some relaxing with  Beers and  Pizza.


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Piz PalüAlbums