Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 51.49970°N / 116.5597°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 1, 2004
On July 19th, Michael Thompson, myself, two female companions and one dog took off from Takakkaw Falls trail head and hiked in the necessary 10k+ to the little Yoho campground passing by numerous falls. As soon as we had our tents pitched, it rained on and off for the next 3 days. The next morning, we chose to do the scramble of Mt Kerr awaiting better weather. On July 21st, we started out at 5:AM and summitted the President in under 3 hours. Michael took a break at the col while I summitted Vice President and we were back at camp for espresso before 10:30. When we arrived at camp initially, I had questioned a well equipped group stationed at the luxurious 5-star Alpine Club Hut, outfitted with plastic boots, ropes and ice axes to spare, about the route. They had taken 11 hours on the 19th. Because I had on hiking boots and asked what I presumed they thought were stupid questions, they were hesitant with any beta on the mountain or route. Interesting enough, when it came time to pick a route, I chose the opposite side of the glacier to proceed up. We took the left hand side picking an ascent route through several crevasses and then finished to the col over the 'schrund on the right side. This route was fast and esthetically pleasing, as well as kept us out of harms way regarding any rock or ice fall. I noted one soft bridge on our descent of the same route. The 'schrund is huge, relative to this glacier. If you have to climb in and out if it, definitely allow for more time. Once we got to the col, we un roped and proceeded up to the President on snow, rock and some ice. We signed the summit register and then I scattered up Vice President and signed it's register as well. We had wintry conditions at the col and the peaks, with no views. Our descent was typically quick. I would do this mountain solo, but of course, l was grateful for a partner on glacier travel. Our total ascent from camp was 3000'+/-. Double click on the smaller photo to the right to get a solid view of the glacier, we picked our way through the left and met the col on the right. There are two approaches, either cross the bridge by the wardens cabin and proceed on the trail as it follows the drainage and proceed up to the left hand moraine's edge dumping you on the glacier lower left, or gain the left hand moraine earlier by veering left off the trail as soon as you pass the sign marking the Kiwetinok Pass at 4k. Start glacier left, ascend and then traverse glacier right as you aim for the 'schrund towards the col. We hiked out via the Iceline Trail (superb views) and were rewarded with great weather the rest of the day.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Fury

Fury - Nov 3, 2005 1:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Sounds like fun. Would this route be appropriate for relative novices (with glacier travel training of course)? I was eying these peaks from my campsite in the Little Yoho Valley this summer. Beautiful setting. I enjoy your pages! - Colin

Fury

Fury - Nov 3, 2005 5:39 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Dow - My brother, a friend and myself are planning on taking the 6-day Intro to Mountaineering course with Yamnuska next July (especially to learn about glacier travel as none of use have any experience....yet). We were hoping to try climbing a couple of peaks after the course, hence all of my pesky questioning to which you so graciously offer your advice. If you don't mind climbing with a few newbie Manitobans we would be more than happy to have you join us. - Colin



PS Are you planning to construct a Mount Burgess page on SP. I was considering it (I went up it two years ago), but saw that you had it on your personal page. If you do add it to SP I wil certainly add some photo's otherwise maybe I'll add it.

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Nov 3, 2005 7:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

I was Colin, but no worries if you add it. I have not added my Yoho summits to SP yet. If you add it I will contribute to your page, and/or vice versa. As I recall, Burgess has a south summit option that was somewhat hairy.



As far as climbing, I am no pre-madona. I just love getting out and if I am with athletic, cool people, I don't care their level of experience. President and V. Pres. is perfect for your group, because even if the weather sucks, their are plenty of scrambles to do there that are quite challenging. And you don't need much of a window two get these two in. We had bad weather and just snuck up there one morning and were down in time for cappuccino.



I would be interested, just put on your calendar to email me prior. If you are going to reserve space in the hut, make sure to do that quite in advance. Cheers!

Fury

Fury - Nov 4, 2005 9:37 am - Hasn't voted

Trip Report Comment

Sound good Dow. I'll be sure to contact you before we leave for the rockies. In case you're wondering here are some other peaks that I'm interested in for next year: Mt. Hector, Mt. Chephren, Unnamed peak (3155m at LL), and south ridge of Mt Edith to name a few. We obviously won't have time to climb that many peaks, but we thought we might be able to fit in around three days of climbing after the course. Of course plans can change between now and then (hopefully we can take more time!). Let me know the next time you visit Manitoba. - Colin

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

President/V. PresTrip Reports