Quien Sabe Glacier

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.49140°N / 121.0378°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Grade II, class 3-4 rock, steep glacier
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is one of two walk up routes up Sahale Mountain, the other one being up Sahale Arm. The phrase QuiƩn Sabe is Spanish for "who knows".

Getting There

Torment Peak during the Morning
Torment Peak Sunrise View
Easy Directions 124 Miles - 2 Hours & 55 Minutes
From Seattle: Drive North on I-5 until you get to Arlington which you take a right at exit 208 onto highway 530. The highway briefly takes a left in down town Arlington onto highway 9 which a few seconds later be sure to turn right back onto highway 530 east to Darrington. At Darrington where the road pretty much ends you take a left onto highway 530 which goes north. In about 19 miles the highway ends, take a right onto highway 20 towards Marblemount. In about 7.5 you arrive at the city of Marblemount. After passing a few gas stations the highway curves, be sure to go strait which goes onto the Cascade River Road. This road takes you all the way to the trailhead of Quien Sabe (Boston Basin trailhead) which is a little beyond mile marker 22. Keep in mind that after mile marker 10 the road becomes gravel and washes out often. The last 2 miles are paved but is a little steep. The trailhead itself is a pull out on the left side of the road.

Easy Directions 74.8 Miles - 1 Hour & 59 Minutes
From Mount Vernon: Depending on where your at if your taking I-5 be sure to take exit 230 east onto highway 20 (North Cascades Highway). Drive along Highway 20 to Marblemount (45 miles). From Marblemount drive strait which crosses a bridge and the road goes a little over 22 miles down the Cascade River Road. Park at the Boston Basin trailhead which will be on the left side less than a mile from the Cascade Pass trailhead.

The views from the trailhead alone are quite impressive with Johannesburg looming over the valley as well as seeing many other impressive peaks like Eldorado, The Triad, Mixup Peak, and Mount Torment.

Biking in the Cascade Valley
Biking to the Trailhead
Eldorado Peak from the Valley
Eldorado Peak on the Way
Alpenglow on Mount Torment
Alpenglow on Mount Torment
Last Light on the Triplets
Fresh Snow on the Triplets
Cascade Peak
Cascade Peak Sunrise
Johannesburg with Clouds
Johannesburg with Clouds
Cascades
Cascade Peak Above
Sahale from down Below
Sahale from down Below

Route Description

Coming soon...

Camping & Red Tape

Coming soon...

When to Climb

Coming soon...

Mountain Conditions

Coming soon...

Gear for the Climb

Coming soon...

Topographic Maps

Coming soon...

External Links

Coming soon...

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.