San Bernardo a Saint through two major hills towards European Mountains

San Bernardo a Saint through two major hills towards European Mountains

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Hiking

Holy Overview Saint

All the pictures of this page are by Antonio Giani, emilius, om, SalVal, sergioenrico, Silvia Mazzani, Tijs & Osw.



San Bernardo is perhaps the Saint, together with Antonio and Francesco, better known in the World. His fame extends beyond the Alps, around which was worshiped a little bit everywhere, then up to cross the Ocean and reach to the Americas. But his name is linked mainly to the first thanks to the famous passes of the Great and Small which still today bear his name. Two input ports from Europe to Italy Western and vice versa, which constituted the transition, before the arrival of the Saint, with names Alpis Graia Poenina the place of transit since Caesar and the Roman Legions to the Gaul Helvetia and until you reach the land of Albion, that is fluently the England. Two paths are not easy through the highest mountains in Europe, which has seen the passage of Mons Jovis in the Pennine Alps or of the Penn God by Consuls (Cassius Longinus in 105 BC against the Tigurini and Sergio Galba in 55 with the legendary XII° Legion), the Duces (Alien Cecina in 69 AD to help with the auxiliary legions of Germany and Gaul, the Emperor Vitellius against Otho), of the Barbarians Lombards (with a strong army in 547 AD), even Charlemagne (773 AD) and the Frederick Barbarossa (1174-75 AD).
But after the Roman Mansio was built a shelter, it seems under the Emperor Constantine, who led to the pass the religious with replacement of the Statue of Jupiter with a large Christian Cross. It appears more realistic hypothesis that this construction took place in 500 by St. Sigismund, while it is certain employment since 700 until 943 by the Benedictine Monks in the employ of the two Priors Victgarius and Benedictus. Then came the Predators Saracens who took over the hill for a decade until the arrival in 1039 of the Archdeacon Bernard from France, more precisely from Mentone Town. In this way, deservedly, began the Myth of St. Bernard as the protector of the entire Alpine Region, while construction of Hospice came in 1049, but had the name "Domus pauperum Montis Jovis", as reported by Liutprand in the First Book of the Historia Ticinese. Only in 1150 it changed its name to Hospice St. Bernard Montis Jovis or even called Hospice of Mont Joux, as reported by "Monumenta Charta" of 1181. The largest hospice of the entire Alps, although he was under the protection of St. Nicholas, however, caught fire in 1600 then being reconstructed between Centuries XVI° XVIII°.

<i> Margherita Bernardo & Barbara </i> Parléaz Chapel 2015
Il lago del Gran San Bernardo
San Bernardo controls everything and everyone! 2015


San Bernardo é forse il Santo, insieme ad Antonio e Francesco, più conosciuto nel Mondo. La sua fama travalica le Alpi, intorno alle quali era venerato un pò dovunque, insino poi a varcare l'Oceano ed ad arrivare fino alle Americhe. Ma il suo nome principalmente rimane legato alle prime grazie ai famosi valichi del Grande e del Piccolo che tuttora portano il suo nome. Due porte di ingresso dall'Europa verso l'Italia Occidentale e viceversa, che hanno costituito il passaggio, prima dell'arrivo del Santo, con i nomi di Alpis Graia e Poenina del luogo di transito da parte di Cesare e delle Legioni Romane verso le Gallie ed Helvetia fino a raggiungere la terra di Albione, cioé l'inghilterra. Due percorsi non facili attraverso le più alte montagne d'Europa, che ha visto il passaggio del Mons Jovis nelle Alpi Pennine o del Dio Penn da parte di Consoli (Cassio Longino nel 105 avanti Cristo contro i Tigurini e Sergio Galba nel 55 con la mitica XII° Legione), di Duces (Alieno Cécina nel 69 dopo Cristo per aiutare con Legioni ausiliarie di Germania e Gallia l'Imperatore Vitellio contro Ottone), dei Barbari Longobardi (con forte esercito nel 547 dopo Cristo) e sin Carlo Magno (773 d.C.) ed il Federico Barbarossa (1174-75 d.C.).
Ma dopo la Romana Mansio venne costruito un ricovero, sembra sotto l'Imperatore Costantino, che condusse al colle religiosi con sostituzione della Statua di Giove con una grande Croce Cristiana. Più realistica invece l'ipotesi di questa costruzione avvenuta nel 500 da parte di San Sigismondo, mentre risulta cosa certa l'occupazione dal 700 al 943 da parte dei Monaci di San Benedetto alle dipendenze dei due Priori Victgarius e Benedictus. Quindi arrivarono i Predatori Saraceni che si impadronirono del colle per un decennio fino all'arrivo nel 1039 dell'Arcidiacono Bernardo proveniente dalla Francia e più precisamente da Mentone. In questo modo, meritatamente, iniziò il Mito di San Bernardo qual protettore dell'intero Arco Alpino, mentre la costruzione dell'Ospizio avvenne nel 1049, avendo nome di "Domus pauperum Montis Jovis", come riferisce Liutprando nel I° Libro dell'Historia Ticinese. Solo nel 1150 assunse la denominazione d'Ospizio San Bernardo Montis Jovis o Mont Joux, come riporta "Monumenta Charta" del 1181. Il più grande ospizio dell'intere Alpi, nonostante recasse la protezione di San Nicola, andò però a fuoco nel 1600 venendo poi ricostruito trai Secoli XVI° XVIII°.


Great Saint Bernard towards Switzerland

From where he came the Saint Bernard? From that famous "Theban Legion" which, apparently, produced more saints legionnaires arrived all these Saints & Hermits, among which it is "saved" certainly the French St. Bernard born in Menton, who had moved in Aosta Valley and founder of Hospices Little Great St. Bernard at the homonymous hills rightly dedicated to him now Centuries. Appropriate recognition for having defeated the Saracens there installed for over a decade by controlling the main route to Europe.

Snowshoes Great Saint Bernard from Saint Rhémy 2004
Gr. St. Bernard to Saulié Leisache & Pain de Sucre 2004
Snowshoes Great Saint Bernard from Saint Rhémy 2004


Da dove arrivava San Bernardo? Dalla famosa "Legione Tebea" che, a quanto pare, produceva più Santi che Legionari sono arrivati tutti questi Santi & Eremiti, tra i quali si "salva" sicuramente il francese San Bernardo nato a Mentone e trasferitosi in Valle di Aosta, nonché fondatore degli Ospizi del Piccolo e Gran San Bernardo presso gli omonimi colli a lui giustamente ormai da Secoli dedicati. Giusto riconoscimento per avere debellato i Saraceni lì installatisi da oltre un decennio controllando la via principale verso l'Europa.

Little Saint Bernard towards France

Regarding the Hill of "Piccolo", to signal that it led the Roman Road to Gaul, who crossed the bridge Pont Serrand, the oldest in the entire valley. On this street are transited Armies every nation by Hannibal, Julius Caesar, Vitellius with the XIV° Legion, Septimius Severus, Caligula, who, fascinated, here wanted to build a city; but never by Napoleon Bonaparte, that held in high regard this step. Transits more "sensational" are those of the King of Burgundians Gundikar with more than 80.000 men, San Pietro II° Bishop of Tarentaise, Umberto Biancamano, Godfrey of Buglione, Carlo Emanuele I° Savoy's Duke and always by the House of Savoy Prince Tommaso Savoy's, the Army of Henry IV° and various Generals among which highlighted Huguette, Mauroy, Moreau, Duhesmes, Suvarow, at the head of armies that ranged from 5.000 to 15.000 troops, even with 5.000 horses. A road already traveled by the Salassian Celtic People bypassing to the East Colle San Carlo, and then restored by the Praetorians Augusta Praetoria Salassorum and remained so until 1600 when Carlo Emanuele I° expanded the same by improving it to facilitate the passage of the artillery.
Meanwhile, after the fall of the Roman Western Empire when the hill was still referred to as "Columnae Jovis", we find even religious evolution up to the name of St. Bernard or, more precisely, "Domus Sancti Bernardi Montis Jovis". Always taking the cue from the enterprise carried out in 1039/49 to the Great St. Bernard or Mons Jovis also the "Piccolo" or Columnae Jovis was credited to the Saint in 1181, while the precise distinction between the two hills came only in 1500 because of increased commercial traffic with France and Switzerland, as to require a precise indication and then well separated. So the "Piccolo or Little Saint Bernard" was transformed into Frenchification Mont Jouvet, and only in the first British Murray Guidebook it definitely became the "Little Ospice". Meanwhile the name of the Saint Bernard had walked the streets of the valleys floor up to the most important villages and small towns and at Pont Serrand we find the Chapel of San Bernardo of 1417, while in La Thuile the Parish Church is dedicated to St. Nicholas, Holy beloved by St. Bernard of Mentone. On the opposite side, or towards the Switzerland, is even the entire valley to be defined as the Valley of Gran San Bernardo. A placename inextricably linked to these two hills, amongst the most famous and popular of the whole Alps. While his name is not to be confused with that of St. Bernard Chiaravalle, or Bernard de Fontaine, almost contemporary of Clairvaux (Fontaine-lès-Dijon, 1090 - Ville-sous-la-Ferté, August 20, 1153), who was a French Monk Cistercian Abbot, founder of the famous Clairvaux Abbey and other monasteries. It is revered as a Saint by the Catholic Church, the Anglican Church and the Lutheran Church.

Colle del Piccolo San Bernardo
Colle del Piccolo San Bernardo
Petit Saint Bernard pass


Per quanto concerne il Colle del Piccolo San Bernardo, da segnalare che ad esso conduceva la Strada Romana per le Gallie, oltrepassante il ponte di Pont Serrand, il più antico dell'intera Valle d'Aosta. Su questa via sono transitate Armate d'ogni Nazione; dalla Cartaginese d'Annibale a Giulio Cesare, a Vitellio con la XIV° Legione, Settimo Severo e Caligola, che, affascinato, qui voleva edificarvi una città. Ma mai da Napoleone Bonaparte, il quale però teneva in gran considerazione questo passaggio. I transiti più "clamorosi" son quelli del Re dei Burgundi Gundikar con più di 80.000 uomini; e poi da San Pietro II° Vescovo di Tarantasia a Umberto Biancamano, Goffredo di Buglione, Carlo Emanuele I° Duca dei Savoia e sempre di Casa Savoia il Principe Tommaso, l'Esercito di Enrico IV° e vari Generali, trai quali in grand'evidenza Huguette, Mauroy, Moreau, Duhesmes, Suvarow, alla testa di Eserciti varianti da 5.000 a 15.000 soldati, con inoltre 5.000 cavalli. Strada percorsa già dal Popolo Celtico-Salasso passando il Colle San Carlo, e poi ristrutturata dai Pretoriani d'Augusta Praetoria Salassorum e tal rimasta insino al 1600 quando Carlo Emanuele I° la allargò migliorandola onde facilitare il passaggio delle sue artiglierie. Nel frattempo, dopo la caduta dell'Impero Romano d'Occidente quando il colle veniva ancora denominato come "Columnae Jovis", riscontriamo anche un'evoluzione religiosa sino ad arrivare al nome di San Bernardo o, più precisamente, "Domus Sancti Bernardi Montis Jovis". Sempre traendo lo spunto dall'impresa effettuata nel 1039 contro i Saraceni e della susseguente costruzione dell'Ospizio nel 1049 presso il Colle del Gran San Bernardo o Mons Jovis, anche il Piccolo o Columnae Jovis venne accreditato al Santo nel 1181; mentre il preciso distinguo tra i due colli avvenne solo nel 1500 a causa dell'aumento del traffico commerciale con Francia e Svizzera, tale da richiedere un'indicazione precisa e quindi ben separata. Così il "Piccolo" fù trasformato nella francesizzazione di Mont Jouvet e soltanto nella prima britannica Guida Murray diventò definitivamente il "Little Ospice". Nel frattempo il nome del Santo aveva percorso le strade dei fondo valle giù insino ai più importanti centri abitati. Così a Pont Serrand riscontriamo la Cappella di San Bernardo del 1417, mentre a La Thuile la Chiesa Parrocchiale é dedicata a San Nicola, Santo prediletto da parte di San Bernardo di Mentone. Sul versante opposto, ovvero verso la Svizzera, é addirittura l'intera valle ad essere definita come la Valle del Gran San Bernardo. Un toponimo legato indissolubilmente a questi due colli, sicuramente tra i più famosi e frequentati dell'intere Alpi. Mentre il suo nome non deve esser confuso con quello di San Bernardo di Chiaravalle o Bernard de Fontaine di Clairvaux e pressocché contemporaneo (Fontaine-lès-Dijon, 1090 – Ville-sous-la-Ferté, 20 agosto 1153). Questi era un Monaco ed Abate francese dell'ordine cistercense, fondatore della celebre abbazia di Clairvaux e di altri monasteri, venerato come Santo da Chiesa Cattolica, Chiesa Anglicana e Chiesa Luterana.

The routes

Pilgrims & Hikers on the "Via Francigena" or on the "Napoleonic Route" into the Great St. Bernard Valley


A)-
From Aosta with the National Road No. 27 to the North to the Gran San Bernardo you reach the Hamlet of Variney (782m; Church of the "Holy Shroud"; Farm "the Myosotis") enters into the Municipality of Gignod (915/94m; "Maison-strong Arch" and Tour de Gignod; Churches of "Our Lady of Protection", San Ilario). From here the road bends more to the Northwest and, leaving left the detour to Condemine and Grand Buthier (1137m, 1302m; Church of S.S. Margherita Rocco), under the Punta Chaligne, gradually reaches the villages of la Clusaz (1199m; "Farmhouse La Clusaz"), Echevennoz (1233/64m; "Hostel Marietty") and finally the Municipality of Etroubles (1280m, 15 km. from Aosta; Church of San Rocco), above the Rio Artanavaz. With a short diagonal to the West-northwest in the road comes to St.-Oyen (1373m; Château Verdun) and, bending over to North and avoiding the deviation to the right for the Tunnel, to St. Rhémy-en-Bosses (1632m; Church of 1700; Casemate to Bosses and Chevillen the XIII° Century), the input of the actual Valley of Gran San Bernardo. From here decisively starts the road to the Great St. Bernard and Entremont Valley): from the parking just after Saint-Rhémy Center towards Great Saint Bernard Valley, crossing under Saint Bernard Tunnel Road in altitude 1860 metres, forks between Praz Dzentor/Plan d'Arc (1876m), Praz d'Arc (1992m), Fonteinte Pastures (+; 2203m near "La Cantine d'Aoste"); continue with State Road to Montagna Baou below Tour des Fous, and after a short tunnel in a terminal diagonal to Great Saint Bernard Lake & Hill, through Southern Slopes, (2469m; "Roman Mansio, Jupiter Statue, "Hôtel Italia", "Restaurant of Lake", Saint Bernard Hospice, Bazars, Exposition Saint Bernard Dogs, Ancient Morgue". E/F; 2h '30/3h '00)). From the pass possibility of descent to swiss Entremont Valley in Switzerland with Swiss State Road and towards the "Combes des Morts" nearby Le Tronchet mini parking or continue te descent to Hospitalet 2116m), Bourg Saint Bernard (1918m) near Mauvoisin long Dam, Bourg Saint Pierre (1632m) to Orsières (879m). Notes: This route is useful in order to do the trail with snowshoes; otherwise you must reach the junction from the parking lot to the Dzellette Arp (1870m) and, staying on shore hydrographic left (East) of Torrent Gr. St. Bernard, continue with the trail n° 13B/TAM/TdC/VA that, passing under Plan de Raye, rejoins the "Napoleonic Via" towards Alp Fonteinte. In addition, starting from Gignod Municipality, with, as mentioned above, a brown sign just before the village below and the "Tour De Ginio" built by the homonym Lords in 1536 and from which the name of Gignod, goes into the woods the restored and ancient "Via Francigena" in parallel and above the National reaches the Etroubles Commune through off-trail comfortable and well marked as the trail n° 1.

Pellegrini & Escursionisti sulla "Via Francigena" oppure sulla "Napoleonica" all'interno della Valle del Gran San Bernardo


A)-
Da Aosta con la Strada Statale n° 27 verso Settentrione per il Gran San Bernardo si arriva alla Frazione di Variney (782 m; Chiesa del "Santo Sudario"; Agriturismo "le Myosotis") entrando poi nel Comune di Gignod (915/94 m; "Maison-forte Arch" e Tour de Gignod; Chiese di "Nostra Signora della Protezione" e San Ilario). Da qui la strada piega più a Nordovest e, lasciando a sinistra la deviazione per Condemine e Grand Buthier (1137 m, 1302 m Chiesa di S.S. Margherita e Rocco), sotto la Punta Chaligne, raggiunge progressivamente i Villaggi di la Clusaz (1199 m; "Agriturismo La Clusaz"), Echevennoz (1233/64 m; "Ostello Marietty") ed infine il Comune di Etroubles (1280 m, 15 Km. da Aosta; Chiesa di San Rocco), sopra il Rio Artanavaz. Con un breve diagonale ad Ovest-nordovest la strada arriva a quello di St.-Oyen (1373 m; Château Verdun) e, piegando più a Nord nonché evitando a destra la deviazione per il Tunnel, raggiunge St. Rhémy-en-Bosses (1632 m; Chiesa del 1700; Case Forti a Bosses e Chevillen del XIII° Secolo), all'ingresso della vera e propria Valle del Gran San Bernardo. Da qui decisamente parte la strada per il Colle del Gran San Bernardo e la svizzera Valle d'Entremont: dal parcheggio subito dopo il centro di Saint-Rhémy verso la valle del Gran San Bernardo, attraversando al di sotto del Tunnel sulla Strada Statale n° 27 in altitude di 1860 metri, successivi bivi per e tra gli Alpeggi di Praz Dzentor/Plan d'Arc (1876 m), Praz d'Arc (1992 m), Fonteinte (+; 2203m presso "La Cantine d'Aoste"); continuare con la Statale verso la Montagna Baou sotto alla Tour des Fous, ed al successivo breve tunnel con diagonale, sotto il versante Meridionale, verso il Lago del Gran San Bernard appena precedente il Colle, (2469m; "Roman Mansio, Statua di Giove, "Hôtel Italia", Ristorante del Lago", Saint Bernard Hospice, Bazars, Esposizione dei Cani del Gran San Bernardo, Antica Morgue". E/F; 2h '30/3h '00)). Dal colle possibilità di scendere nella Valle d'Entremont in Svizzera tramite la Statale svizzera in direzione della "Combes des Morts" presso la piazzola di Le Tronchet oppure proseguire verso Hospitalet (2116 m), Bourg Saint Bernard (1918 m) presso la Diga di Mauvoisin, Bourg Saint Pierre (1632 m) sino al Comune di Orsières (879 m). Annotazioni: Questo itinerario é utile volendo effettuare il percorso con racchette da neve; altrimenti conviene dal parcheggio raggiungere il bivio per l'Arp Dzellette (1870 m) e, restando sulla sponda idrografica sinistra (Est) del Torrent Gran San Bernardo, proseguire con il sentiero n° 13B/TAM/TdC/VA che, passando sotto l'Alpe Plan de Raye, si ricongiunge alla "Via Napoleonica" verso quella di Fonteinte. Inoltre, con partenza dal Comune di Gignod con, come già detto sopra, un cartello in marron appena prima del paese e sottostante la "Tour De Ginio" costruita nel 1536 dagli omonimi Signori donde il toponimo di Gignod, sale all'interno del bosco l'antica e ripristinata "Via Francigena" che, parallela alla Statale, giunge sin ad Etroubles tramite il largo e comodo sentiero-mulattiera ben segnalato n° 1.

To Saint Great Saint Bernard Hill by Snowshoes 2004
Hiking up the Colle del Gran San Bernardo
Col Gran San Bernardo and...


From La Thuile going up through the "Consular Road" inside the Vallon of Little Saint Bernard


B)-
From La Thuile center and just above and a little farther on, in the locality Petite Golette, is the Chapel of the Great Golette with circular window under a small bell tower, from which a small and ancient stone bridge leads back (but currently closed for renovation ) on the highway. Continuing on which, after five wide turns, you reach the Hamlet of Pont Serrand (1602m, Chapel of St. Bernard d'Aoste ), place small bottleneck on the Torrent de Verney with beautiful views of the Northern Slope of Mont Colmet (3024m).
By Pont Serrand near Verney Torrent continue with the National Road to the Little St Bernard Pass, or, following the trail n° 9 that rises directly from La Thuile-Fauburg, gradually reach the localities of Servaz, Roux, Cantine des Eaux Rousses up to the Lake Verney (2088m). Always following close behind the old "Consular Route" in short time to the hill.

Da La Thuile sulla "Via Consolare" all'interno del Vallone del Piccolo San Bernardo


B)-
Dal centro di La Thuile ed appena sopra ed un pò più in là, in località Petite Golette, si trova la Cappella di Grande Golette con finestra circolare sotto un campaniletto, dalla quale un piccolo ed antico ponte in pietra riconduce (ma attualmente chiuso per lavori) sulla strada principale. Proseguendo sulla quale, dopo cinque ampi tornanti, si giunge a Pont Serrand (1602 m; Cappella di St. Bernard d'Aoste), posto in esigua strettoia sul Torrent de Verney con splendide vedute sul Versante Ovest del Mont Colmet (3024 m).
Da Pont Serrand continuare con la Strada Nazionale verso il Colle del Piccolo, oppure, seguendo il sentiero n° 9 che sale direttamente da La Thuile-Fauburg, raggiungere progressivamente le località di Servaz, Roux, Cantine des Eaux Rousses sino al Lago Verney (2088 m). Sempre seguendo dappresso l'antica "Strada Consolare" in breve al colle.

Saint Bernard Dogs

With regard to the St. Bernard Dog, the true breed is extinct in 1813 for natural causes (illnesses, including the one that hit the eyes), It is mentioned in documents of 1540 and an English Lord had one in 1618. The breed current is a cross between that of Newfoundland and the Race Wurthemberg, but for the true origins of the race, you have to refer to the large mastiffs of the Roman Legions, left the troops intended to guard strategic points on major roads. This is the probable origin of the dogs of St. Bernard and the great Cattle widespread in many Swiss cantons. The earliest documentation of the presence of the Colle San Bernardo, then Col Mons Jovis, since the second half of the '600, when the Italian and Neapolitan painter Salvator Rosa drew a large mastiff similar to the modern Saint Bernard dog. The first dogs, not identifiable with the actual race but with the late mastiff Alpine, were donated to the Canons and Monks residents at the their Hospice situated on the Colle San Bernardo in 1660, by the noble Families of the Valais in Switzerland, to guard and protect the hospice by bandits, but also for many other uses, the transport of agricultural products in milk and cheese, the driving force of the mills, operated by various dogs, moved the spit of the kitchen. The commitment that made them famous in the world was for helping the Monks or Marronnier mark trails in the deep snow, predict avalanches and finding lost travelers in the very bad weather. The most famous was Barry I (1800-1814), hero of the rescue of at least 40 people. At death, he was embalmed and kept at the Natural History Museum of Berne; since then the best male of each litter at the Hospice called Barry. In addition, race, up to that time known as "Hound of the Alps", began to spread like Chien Barry. The name Saint Bernard dog, relative and dedicated to the famous Saint of Aosta Valley, was used for the first time in 1862, at exhibitions dog-loving at Birmingham City, and became common in the 1880s. Other illustrious names among St. Bernard Dogs were the giant Tom, 1.30 metres high, the female Diana in 1902 saved in one day three people, Leo and Gal, the last of the ancient race. Features and appropriate characteristics? Short hair and very thick hazel with white spots and with the inseparable small barrel with liquor, his neck, on which hang, like the eyes, tufts blackish. Also infinite Love to duty, for master and children.

GREAT SAINT BERNARD Ale & Dog 1996
The kingsize St Bernard
Mont Fourchon


Per quanto concerne i Cani del San Bernardo, la vera razza si é estinta nel 1813 per cause naturali (malattie, compresa quella che colpiva gli occhi). Trovasi citato in documenti del 1540 ed un Lord Inglese ne possedeva uno nel 1618. La razza attuale risulta un incrocio tra quella di Terranova e la Wurthemberg, ma per le vere origini della razza, si deve fare riferimento ai grossi mastini delle Legioni Romane, lasciati alle truppe destinate a presidiare i punti strategici sulle grandi vie di comunicazione. Probabile questa l'origine dei cani di San Bernardo e dei grandi Bovari diffusi in vari Cantoni svizzeri; la prima testimonianza certa della presenza al Colle San Bernardo, allora Col Mons Jovis, risale a seconda metà del '600, quando il pittore napoletano Salvator Rosa ritrasse un grosso molossoide simile al moderno cane di San Bernardo. I primi, non identificabili con la razza attuale ma con lo scomparso mastino alpino, vennero donati ai Canonici residenti presso l'Ospizio situato al Colle San Bernardo nel 1660, dalle Famiglie Nobili del Vallese, per la guardia e la protezione dell'Ospizio dai briganti, ma anche per altri impieghi, dal trasporto di prodotti agricoli a latte e formaggi, alla forza motrice dei mulini che, azionato dai cani, muoveva lo spiedo della cucina. L'impegno che li rese celebri nel mondo fu quello di ausiliari dei Monaci o Marronnier nel tracciare la pista nella neve alta, prevedere la caduta di valanghe e ritrovare i viaggiatori dispersi col maltempo. Il più famoso fu Barry I (1800-1814), protagonista del salvataggio di almeno 40 persone. Alla morte, venne imbalsamato e conservato presso il Museo di Storia Naturale di Berna; da allora il miglior maschio d'ogni cucciolata dell'allevamento dell'Ospizio prende il nome Barry. Inoltre, la razza, fino a quel tempo conosciuta come "Mastino delle Alpi", s'iniziò a diffondere come Chien Barry. La denominazione Cane di San Bernardo, dal Santo di Aosta, venne utilizzata per la prima volta nel 1862, in occasione di un'esposizione cinofila presso Birmingham, e divenne comune nel 1880. Altri nomi illustri tra i San Bernardo sono il gigantesco Tom, alto 1,30 metri, Diana che nel 1902 salvò in un sol giorno tre persone, Leo e Gal, ultimi di vecchia razza. Caratteristiche? Pelo raso, molto fitto di color nocciola con macchie bianche e l'inseparabile botticella con liquore, appesa al collo, sul quale pendono, come sugli occhi, ciuffi di pelo nerastro. Inoltre Amore infinito per il dovere, padrone ed i bambini.

Comments

No comments posted yet.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.