SE slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.37274°N / 110.38711°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 3rd class
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The SE slopes of MacLeod Peak rise directly above the lake. It is much better when snow covered, or expect lots of scree. If it is dry, the east ridge connecting with Corner Peak is much easier.

Getting There

MacLeod Peak SE slopeThe SE slopes rise up from the lake all the way until the summit. The snow couloir is almost in the center of the photo
Follow the directions to get to MacLeod Lake, and cross the outlet and go around the west side of the lake.

Route Description

up the SE slopesBob Sihler working his way up the couloir during an ascent of the SE slopes, July 4,2009
Look for the chute going through the cliff bands above the lake. Work your way diagonaly upwards until you are going directly up the chute. It is not as steep as it looks. Go directly up and when you get to the top you will be looking directly at the summit pyramid. It is just a short scramble up the final pyramid or go up the easy snow. The descent is back the way you came, or across the ridge to Corner Peak. The Corner Peak page describes the ridge traverse better. You can also descend from the ridge directly down the north slopes and follow the basin down to the Swift Creek trail.

Essential Gear

Early season, an ice axe, or ski poles depending on your confidence level on moderate snow. Good boots can also help. Watching the weather is also necessary, because the weather can change quick up there, making the need for good rain gear important.

External Links




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.