Siula Grande

Siula Grande

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Ice Climbing, Alpine Climbing, Informational, Scenery

Siula Grande

This album is dedicated to the peak named Siula Grande which if you have any photos of this mountain, please add them.
Siula Grande Siula Grande's East Face

Siula Grande was first climbed July 28, 1936 by Erwin Schneider and Arnold Awerzger and has not seen that many ascents ever since. In 1985 Joe Simpson and his partner Simon Yates climbed the West face which Joe had a bad accident which became an epic struggle for survival and a great story called "Touching the Void" which goes down as one of my favorite climbing stories. Click here to see a sample of the movie. Since then Siula Grande gained a lot of fame and a few more ascents were made. The West face has been climbed two more times, once by Carlos Buhler and Mark Price.

West Face of Siula Grande Siula Grande's West Face
South Face of Siula Grande South Face of Siula Grande


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-9 of 9
KoenVl

KoenVl - Jan 20, 2011 4:41 am - Voted 10/10

West Face

After Carlos Buhler the West Face of Siula Grande has been climbed one more time in 2002, by the Dutch Rogier van Rijn en Eva Oomen.
It's nice to see an album of Siula Grande, it's a pitty there is no mountain page of such a beautiful mountain!
Cheers,
Koen.

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Jan 20, 2011 11:25 am - Hasn't voted

Re: West Face

Thanks Koen! I updated the album, I created this album in pretty much knowing that no one would make it, or at least not for many years. The mountain is not taken for good reasoning, few ascents are made, and I doubt anyone on sp has climbed it, and if anyone here has, there propably one of those climbers who are too busy climbing or with there daily life. I was impressed to see here on sp the mountain Yerupaja which is right next to Siula Grande. Also this album was made to encourage people who have photos of this mountain to post them. As for the link to Carlos Buhler's photo, I got permission directly from him to do so.
Cheers Josh Lewis.

Tangeman

Tangeman - Jun 20, 2011 2:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: West Face

When'd you go here Josh?

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Jun 20, 2011 2:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: West Face

I've never stepped outside North American in my life! But I certainly plan on visiting South America. I created this album because of my fascination with Siula Grande. And when looking around I have not found any other collection of photos for this mountain here on sp.

Ryan Klassen - Sep 14, 2018 3:02 pm - Hasn't voted

South Face.

Hi, in your page here it says that the south Face was never climbed. In Wikipedia, it says it was climbed in 2001 if I'm correct? Do you know for certain that the south Face of Siula Grande was never climbed up to the day?
Ryan.

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Sep 14, 2018 4:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: South Face.

Thanks Ryan for the correction which has been updated. Ironically it was Wikipedia back in 2011 that said the South Face had not been climbed. I'm guessing the records finally got sorted out and publicly known enough to be written in a few places online.

Ryan Klassen - Sep 15, 2018 4:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: South Face.

No problem! I was just hoping that I could be rewarded with a first ascent but that's ok. Great age! Keep it up!
Ryan

upzmtn - Sep 20, 2022 3:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Carlos' Partner

Probably worth noting for the record that Mark Price was Carlos' partner on the West Face route "Avoiding the Touch" in 2000.

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Sep 20, 2022 11:54 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Carlos' Partner

Thank you upzmtn. Added that to the text link to reflect this.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.