South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.79000°N / 125.828°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: AD
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.7 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 7
Additional Information Grade: III
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Most ascents of Elkhorn are via the Northwest Ridge or the West Gullies, both direct routes to the top. But for climbers the rock on the south and east sides of the mountain offer much better climbing and the routes here are amongst the best on Vancouver Island. The South Ridge of Elkhorn is an outstanding scramble on almost flawless rock. Although the north face is more dramatic to view, the overall atmosphere climbing on the south ridge is a notch above due to the outstanding position high above the upper Elk valley, Mt Colonel Foster and Rambler Peak.

Getting There

Approach to the Elkhorn south col as described in Island Alpine Select.

Route Description

The route essentially follow the obvious crest of the south ridge. Easy 3rd class above the col leads to a high, flat shoulder below the upper ridge proper. Keep slightly right of the ridge crest on low to mid 5th class and climb direct to the south summit.

Essential Gear

Add Essential Gear text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.