The Cold Mountain Left Hot

The Cold Mountain Left Hot

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 22, 1995
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer

A Weather Dilemma

Mrzla gora means in our language Cold Mountain. Many years it was left alone, standing remotely on the border between Austria and ex Jugoslavia. With the independence of Slovenia it has been receiving more and more attention. In October 1995 it became almost a must also for us...

There were so many beautiful days that the three of us leave despite heavy clouds. In one good hour we are on Ledine. It's foggy, water drops on wires are freezing, two climbers are returning back, founding below Kriz only a fog. Some hundred meters higher we come above the first layer of fog, but above there's another one. So we continue slowly on Savinjsko sedlo and then wait there for a whole hour, undecided. Where's the good weather from the forecast? Trembling already of cold we are ready to turn back, when through the fog the sun ball appears and there's also some blue sky on the northern horizon. Jasmina is skeptical, but at last we go forward.

Let's Go On Top

It clears already while we are descending towards Okreselj. Fog rests make wonderful scenes and suddenly all becomes nice and even warm. Soon we reach the crossroads, turn towards Mrzla gora and fastly gain altitude. The route becomes interesting. A few exposed places, first good protection devices, later less and less of them. But the rock is good and even where there are pegs, we feel they are not really needed. It's all the time an easy climbing tour, higher on the ridge very panoramic. Here's the fore-summit and soon also the main summit. From the crossroads we cut the proposed ascent time more than on a half. The whole world is sunken in a slowly rising fog, only the main summits are peeking out.

Now Only To Descend

Climbers, resting on top, are warning us that the route to Matkov kot is poorly marked. At 12:45 we start descending. In the summit ravine it goes slowly, marks are still good, lower, when crossing on the East ridge, the route becomes harder and on a crumbly terrain we need a full attention to come around one corner. On the ridge it's again better, after searching a little we find the continuation to the towers in the East ridge. By the ledge with poor protection devices we carefully cross towards the notch, where we finally leave the East ridge.

Descending through Zgornja krnica (The Upper Basin) we still have sun, standing low, just above the main ridge. Yes, we are descending towards the North and days are already short. On the first grassy slopes the sun and a dense fog make a splendid projections of our silhouettes, surrounded by clear and strong rainbows. Time for playing! We are jumping, waving with hands and the figures on the foggy wall are doing all the same. But as we descend a bit more the show is over. For today.

Suddenly Lost

Over steep grass and slabs the route descends on a ledge, where marks end abruptly. There is a ciarn, but it brings us into a ravine, where big snow rests lie. We are surprised as we are too high to be at the famous Skaf already. And there's no way down. From the last marks there's also no trace of a trail towards the left. So we carefully descend directly down over the rocks. We were warned to take care on marks, so we often search left and rigt. But we find nothing. On one place a big rock suddenly losens below my legs. Already in the air I am looking where to land, skillfully do so, waiting until the rock and all the rubble is finally down. Uh! Now we decide to find a passage down towards the snow, hoping that it is Skaf (an often visited attraction), where the marked path should continue. But there were none. Instead we find in steep grass good trails, certainly done by many mountaineers. Even if unmarked, we follow the path, because it goes by a ravine, as it is written in the route description. Of course the 'path' ends in a dense dwarf-pine and finally also with a steep rocky wall. We are clearly wrong!

We are in a dense fog, supposedly still high enough on the mountain, so while searching for the marked path left and right, we take care not to separate too much. There's allways one of us in the middle, relaying calls from one and another side. Matevz tries quite towards the right, but finds no marks and also slopes there end with steep rocks. Then I'm going towards the left. I'm crossing one ravine, and another one, there are all the time week trails, but nothing certain. Because of the fog it's all wet, slopes are very steep and I slowly return. As Matevz is certain that there's nothing towards the right we try again on my side. I'm crossing all those slopes again, go even further and a bit down around a rocky tower. Allways weak trails, probably done by animals. Now there are towers also below, watching me out of fog as if they wanted to ask what the hell I was doing there. As it's too steep below, I try by a ravine up, climb around a corner and reach a bit less steep slopes. I must first wait until Matevz establish a voice connection, then I get another try to search down. I descend some 50 meters, but when Jasmina reaches Matevz's position, she is reasonable enough to stop this useless search. It's too steep here, and obviously no signs of a man presence. We can have 500 meters of such wild slopes beneath us, and so no chance to get down today. So, back again.

After two hours of searching we are on that trail again, but still not on a marked path. Time to take a short rest and think it over. It immediately gets very cold. Nobody is of course equipped for a bivouac. It's autumn only, we are on a tour with market paths, so we have only light clothes and no battery. The decision is obvious. We must ascend again that half an hour to the last marks. If someone will be searching us, they will do so there, not here. Now we hurry. Ascending up, I nevertheless allways tend towards the left, where below Matevz was searching. There must be somewhere this damn passage! It's getting dark already. Just before reaching the snow, I spot in the middle of the ravine a pale red mark. The one, I was most happy to see it in my all life. It was the last time.

Do We Have Enough Time To Get Down?

The slopes are still very steep. We still need to take care when crossing, also to climb a bit on some places. I am forcing Jasmina and my friend more and more to hurry. Now we are descending again, following weak marks. On a few places we throw down poles, climb a rocky step and continue almost running down. We are less and less able to see. Finally the last, main ravine, which already ends in the valley below. But we are still quite high. The last tricky passage, when throwing poles down, Jasmina is asking if we shall be at all able to find them. In the dark they are very useful. In the middle of the ravine we see a light below in the valley. It's Urban, Matevz's son. With his mom he must have been waiting us for hours. But the distance is too big, screaming we can't communicate. Soon the light disappears.

Below the path goes from the ravine into the forrest. Now we really see nothing more. Soon we decide to continue by the scree field. There's no path, but at least you can see where to set a step. We proceed very slowly. An hour or so, we use our poles and all own senses in order that no one gets hurt. The scree field splits, joins again, we have no clue where to go. It is strange where is Urban. He could help us with his battery. Suddenly a scree field turns into a forrest road. A bit better though. After another half an hour we reach a crossroads. Where now?

The dilemma is resolved by the light of a car, approaching from behind. This will not be a hitch-hike. This will be almost a kidnapping! The driver is not enthusiastic at all to take us. Finaly we are in the car and soon in the first farm where we see lights. They must have a phone (in that time we had no mobile phones yet!). Also Marjeta and Urban are there. Of course they alarmed the police which moibilised the mountain rescue service. They are on their way here. But I cen get them on the phone.

I explain shortly where we lost our route, the guy from the mountain rescue service listens calmly and then stops me saying: "Nothing strange. Every now and then somebody gets lost there, and even killed. We are used to this. But despite warnings we have no money to renew the route". I had a feeling that they are even happy to be able to break the action and turn into an inn to relax.

Even very fit, only for a descent we needed 6 hours, if not more. But we made no mistakes and that spared us a very unpleasant bivouac. Every now and then it's also good to take such a lesson. And in future similar tours also a bit more additional equipment.
(Today I'm almost certain that these routes are better marked, but I haven't repeated this nice tour so far.)

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Mathias Zehring

Mathias Zehring - Aug 28, 2006 9:33 pm - Voted 10/10

a well-written...

and breath-taking epic, your trip report!

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Aug 29, 2006 6:46 am - Hasn't voted

Re: a well-written...

Thank you :-)
Eh, it was not so serious, but really it was one rare occasion, when we were in a trouble. Still, nothing serious would happen, we would only be freezing a little.

Ghosting - Feb 25, 2007 2:38 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: a well-written...

Hello Vid!

Do you have some new information about the marked path from Matkov kot? Is it better marked today?

Tom

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Feb 25, 2007 3:18 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: a well-written...

Hm, Tom, I didn't read in the last time anything special. I guess coming up there should not be the problem anyway. Going down - you should just remember to keep right and again not much can go wrong. If I'll get some useful info, I'll let you know.

Cheers!

Ghosting - Feb 25, 2007 3:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: a well-written...

Thanks Vid,

Maybe it's better to hike up from Matkov kot (it's easier to find marked spots when going up) and then descend to Okreselj.
In 2002 I got lost with my dad when we were descending from Skrlatica to Aljazev dom. We had to spend one night doing some excercises to avoid freezing. Next morning we found the marked path and got back to Vrata valley. It was very good experince for us as we haven't had any similar problems so far.

Best wishes,
Tom

Ghosting - Jun 22, 2007 8:49 am - Voted 10/10

Re: a well-written...

Hello Vid,

Please one more question. I would like to know if you used a self-protected equipment to come up. Do you recommend it for this peak?

Cheers!

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Jun 23, 2007 6:31 am - Hasn't voted

Re: a well-written...

Hi, Tom!
It's hard to answer you such a question. We never use any self-protection equipment on ferratas, even not a helmet. And I know it's wrong. But just to get up on top of Mrzla gora, you really don't need it. Or - compare the ascent with Skrlatica. The route is of similar difficulty, only that Skrlatica is longer.
Cheers!
Vid

Branko

Branko - Sep 24, 2009 6:02 am - Voted 10/10

Interesting trip report!

I'm glad that everything was o.k. at the end and I'm sure that it was a great experience for you.

I was observing this mountain last Sunday when I was on Turska gora and this mountain definitely gets my attention! It is really attractive and maybe next year will try to reach the summit.

Brgds, Branko.

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Sep 24, 2009 2:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Interesting trip report!

It was really one of rare such situations. Nothing seriously could happen, we would be only freezing a little. Yes, also I would like to ascend Mrzla gora soon.

Ghosting - Nov 20, 2010 3:25 am - Voted 10/10

Mrzla gora is great

On September 2010 I went up to Mrzla from Ledine and then back to Ravenska kocna croosing Babe ridge to parking place at tovorna zicnica. One night at hut. Another day in the morning go over Jezersko sedlo and Savinjsko sedlo. And then downs towards to Okreselj and up to Mrzla gora. Fantastic breathtaking views to all valleys and Austria. Some really dangerous passages. Very demandingly. Yes, similar to Skrlatica but some not secured paths and climbing make this mountain more deamanding. Sometimes in the future I want to ascend from Matkov kot and down to Frischaufov dom. It is not recommended to go down to Matkov kot according to bad marked path and dangerous places.

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Nov 20, 2010 5:10 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Mrzla gora is great

You did good and demanding trips, indeed! Actually I know Mrzla gora poorly. Would be very nice to climb up there soon again!
Cheers!
Vid

Ghosting - Nov 21, 2010 7:35 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Mrzla gora is great

Yes, long trip, I was at tovorna zicnica about at 10 p.m. Jenk. planina also nice place, there is water to drink on the left of the path to Ravenska kocna valley, definetelly I want to climb up from Matkov kot soon. Yes, Skrlatica, Mrzla gora and Ponza Grande (Visoko Rateska Ponza), all these "north" peaks are probably my dearest, Cheers! Tom

Viewing: 1-12 of 12

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mrzla goraTrip Reports