Tolmie Trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.95800°N / 121.87600°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Heading back to the lookout tower


The Tolmie Peak Trail is a popular trail that starts from Mowich Lake and lead to the lookout tower to the west of the true summit of Tolmie. With about 1300 feet of elevation gain and just over 6 miles the Tolmie Peak is ideal for families looking for a good moderate workout and stellar views of the famous and beautiful Mount Rainier.

Eucine Lake and Tolmie Peak



The trail stops by the beautiful Eunice Lake which leads to a great foreground fro shots of Tolmie Peak on one side and Mount Rainier on the other sideThe views from the Tolmie Trail from the lookout are breathtaking as well. The lookout often is very crowded with families and tourist on the weekends.

The true summit!!



Luckily folks though the lookout is not the true summit!! For the true summit there is an exposed bootpath that leads to the summit. The footing in spots here is iffy so take the bootpath here carefully bto the summit. One misstep could have dire result on this narrow ridge. Once you get to the true summit you will be greeted with even better views of the surrounding area.

Looking east from the true summit


The Tolmie Peak Trail also serves as a great launching point for nearby Howard Peak and other peaks in the area. It is possible to link the Tolmie Peak Trail to the likes of Howard, Florence, Virginia, Berry and Martin.

Getting There

Mowich Road Park Entrance:

From Puyallup:
1. Drive 13 miles east on state Route 410 to Buckley
2. Turn right (south) onto state Route 165 and proceed through Carbonado
3. Just beyond the Carbon River Gorge bridge, bear right onto Mowich Lake Road
4. Follow the road about 17 miles to its end (CAUTION: Watch for logging trucks - There is lots of private property adjacent to the park that is being logged.)
5. The trailhead is on the left (north) side of the road, near Mowich Lake

Route Description

Summer Route From Mowich Lake Has both the Tolmie and Howard Peak Route Map


From Mowich Lake:

Tolmie Peak Summit: 5939'
Mowich Lake Elevation: 4929'
Total Elevation gain: 1345'
Total Elevation lost: 335'

3.2 miles each way/6.4 miles round trip

Hiking season: July through September (Dictated by Mowich Road access)

The trail leads 1.25 miles through the forest to a trail junction, first downhill, then steeply uphill 1.0 mile to Eunice Lake. The last mile from Eunice Lake to Tolmie Peak Lookout is steep but well worth the effort.

Once at the Lookout, you are not actually on the high point of Tolmie Peak. Ascend the ridge due East to the first hump to reach the true summit.

Essential Gear

Just your ten essentials!

1. A map of the area
2. A compass
3. A flashlight with extra batteries/bulb
4. Extra food
5. Extra clothing, including rain gear
6. Sunglasses and sunscreen
7. A pocketknife
8. Matches in a waterproof container
9. A candle or other fire starter
10. A first aid kit

External Links

Information on the Backcountry Hiking and Camping at Mount Rainier National Park
Backcountry Permit Required for Camping while in Mount Rainier National Park. For more information please click here

Here is a good summer trip report on Howard Peak


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.