Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 49.57500°N / 114.4139°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 1, 2003
Park your vehicle under the telephone lines behind 124th Street and 15th Avenue in Blairmore. Follow a trail to first peak. I did 2400' in the first hour of accent. Then you have to traverse the precarious Frank Slide remnants to the real summit. I traversed the edge of this minefield to the summit for challenge, but unless you are experienced, I advise staying on more moderate ground to the south. Features include huge rock crevasses, hanging rock, debris and gapping holes dropping 3000' vertical, etc. There is a register on a pole at the summit.

On top, notice how the mountain started to pull up the other side. Although this tragedy happened in 1903, it looks like it happened yesterday. This is one of the most interesting climbs you will enjoy from a geological perspective. Gain the ridge from the northwest corner and enjoy views of Tecumseh (NW) all the way. Over 70 people were buried in this slide. Must have been sheer terror seeing half a mountain roll your way (the distance this slide traveled is attributed to a ball bearing effect). Visit the interpretation center afterwards for a look at your route.


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Turtle MountainTrip Reports