Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.22545°N / 18.75001°E
Additional Information Elevation: 7864 ft / 2397 m
Sign the Climber's Log

The highest peaks of Bioč range

BiočVitao from the slopes of Maglic
maglic/bioc/volujak/vlasuljaVitlovi peaks from Vlasulja

With DURMITOR, PROKLETIJE and KOMOVI, BIOČ range belong for sure to the group of 4 most beautiful and most impressive mountain ranges of Montenegro. Together with mountain ranges of Maglić, Volujak, Trnovački Durmitor and Vlasulja, Bioč create a beautiful mountain area with many high peaks, beautifully lakes, valleys and plateous. From all of them, Bioč is the highest one with its Vitlovi (2397 m) peaks which proudly dominates in that beautiful mountain area in the NW part of Montenegro.

Precisely, Vitlovi is the name of three peaks which are connected between themself:


  • Veliki Vitao (2397 m)

  • Srednji Vitao (2280 m)

  • Mali Vitao (2220 m)



From them, Veliki Vitao as the highest peak of Vitlovi, Bioč range and wider Bioč-Maglić-Trnovački Durmitor-Volujak-Vlasulja rante, is for sure most impressive peak in that area. Veliki Vitao has beautiful and attractive outlook and is recognizable from many high mountains of Montenegro as are Durmitor, Prokletije, Komovi...

Climbing of Vitlovi peaks are wholeday tour and it is useful to know that you should keep with you enough water, because Bioč area is not so rich with water springs. The best and most impressive view to Vitlovi peaks are from Bubreg (2339 m), second highest peak of Bioč range.

Vitlovi offer outstanding view to many high mountain ranges in Montenegro, specially to theirs closest neighbour Durmitor and its highest peaks Bobotov Kuk, Bezimeni Vrh, Djevojka and Prutas. Also, from Vitlovi peaks you can enjoy in Prokletije, Komovi and other high mountain ranges of Montenegro.

Routes Overview

VitloviVitlovi peaks from Volujak


Stabna (1050 m) – Veliko Stabansko Jezero lake (1325 m) 1.30h – Zemunica (1598 m) 1.30 h – Ćuprija Pass (2196 m) 3h – Veliki Vitao (2397 m) 30 min: 6.30h

The starting point of the route is at the last houses an old shepherd’s path (there is a forest road that leads to the Malo Stabansko Jezero lake) which ascends steeply northwest through the forest, tracking the Stabanska river bed. Pass the Malo Stabansko Jezero lake. Then another ascent northward through a wood to the Veliko Stabansko Jezero. The route continues eastward, along ravines to the fountain spring of Zemunica. From that point, the path climbs northerly, through boulders, over grassy karst holes to a dried up rainwater reservoir called Ubline located in the Smrekovac cirque. Continue northward, along a livestock trail to the Krvava Brda foothills. The ascent starts from the road, at the point closest to he vale between Biočke Grede and Vitlovi. Steep grassy and rocky terraces, first downward through rubble and then through a small piney wood (Pinus mugo), the path turns northeastward to the rocky Klisura valley. The visible trail leads to the Ćuprija pass. From the pass to the summit, follow along the southern side, over a grassy slope.

VitloviVeliki Vitao (2397 m) and Bubreg (2339 m)

Trnovačko Jezero lake – Rudinske Kolibe shepherd houses – Bojanska Vrata pass 2.30h – below Ordeni Dolovi valley – above Smrekovac plateau – Veliki Vitao (2397 m) 2h: 4.30h-5h

This route start from Trnovačko Jezero lake. Ascending from that lake, after about 10 minutes you’ll notice a marked sign which show you the path to the left to Trnovački Durmitor, then the path to the right to Badanj, and finally the middle path which goes to Trnovačke (Rudinske) Kolibe houses. The path continue near that houses and through the right side of valley, and after that across the rocky terrain and to the left across the pass. From Trnovačko Jezero lake to that pass you’ll spend about one hour or little beat more. After that the path enter into the valley between the peaks of Volujak massif on the right and peaks of Trnovački Durmitor on the left. From here, to reach Bojanska Vrata pass you need about 1.15h. When you come on Bojanska Vrata pass, from that place you’ll enjoy in incredible view to Bioč massif. From the pass you can go on the right side of the valley called Ordeni Dolovi. Than go left below the Ordeni Dolovi and above the Smrekovac basin, in direction of Veliki Vitao peak. Second option is to go to Stabna plateau and from there ascend to the pass from where is possible to reach the summit of Veliki Vitao peak. From Trnovačko Jezero lake to the summit of Veliki Vitao you need about 5h by walk.

Stabna (1050 m) – Kručica (1500 m) – Smrekovac plateau (1700 m) – Veliki Vitao (2397 m): 5h

Kručica (1500 m) – Biočko Ždrijelo (2040 m) – Bijelačka Voda (1930 m) – Veliki Vitao (2397 m)

view from Veli vitao to BiočVeliki Vitao (2397 m) summit view

Getting There

Bioc massifView to Vitao

From Montenegro

Podgorica - Nikšić - Plužine - Stabna - Bioč (shortest approach)

Podgorica - Nikšić - Plužine - Mratinje - Trnovačko Jezero - Bioč (longer approach)

From Serbia

Belgrade (Beograd) - Loznica - Mali Zvornik - Zvornik - Višegrad - Tjentište - Prijevor - than by walk to Trnovačko Jezero lake (shortest approach)

Belgrade (Beograd) - Ljig - Čačak - Užice - Zlatibor - Nova Varoš - Prijepolje - Pljevlja - Đurđevića Tara - Žabljak - Virak - Sedlo - Trsa - Plužine - Stabna - Bioč (longer approach)

Belgrade (Beograd) - Ljig - Čačak - Užice - Zlatibor - Nova Varoš - Prijepolje - Pljevlja - Đurđevića Tara - Žabljak - Virak - Sedlo - Trsa - Mratinje - Trnovačko Jezero - Bioč (longer approach)

Important note: The asphalt road Žabljak - Virak - Sedlo - Trsa is not active during period December-April because of snow conditions on the road.

From Bosnia and Hercegovina

The M-20 highway from Foča/Srbinje to Gacko, which crosses through Tjentište, is the starting point for the approach to these peaks.
It can be reached by following the M-5 highway easy out of Sarajevo.

Camping

Trnovacko LakeTrnovačko jezero
small Stabna lakeMalo Stabansko jezero

Before and after climbing of the peaks of BIOČ range, you can freely camping on many places around and below the mountain. First of all, you can camping near Trnovačko Jezero lake, near Veliko Mratinjsko Jezero below the Vrsta peak, than in the Stabna Valley near Veliko Stabansko lake and Malo Stabansko lake.

Weather Info

The weather conditions before visiting BIOČ range and Vitlovi peaks you can check on Vreme Yubc Net web site for Plužine town.

Red Tape

No extra fees.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

BiočMountains & Rocks