Welcome to Linville Gorge

Welcome to Linville Gorge

Page Type Page Type: Album

Welcome to Linville Gorge?

I say "welcome" with a hint of sarcasm! The trails of Linville Gorge do not welcome you with open arms. On this 2 1/2 day backpack I found myself repeating this phrase - Welcome to Linville Gorge - on a number of occassions, particularly when we came across another log to climb over or under, or when we briefly lost the overgrown trail. I do love hiking in the big ditch, but it's difficult. These trails are the most rugged I've hiked on.

Linville Gorge does have a reputation for being rugged, and it is well deserved. The "maintained" trails are overgrown, unusually steep in many places and often difficult to follow. There are very few trail signs and these are typically at the trailheads, or trail terminus. Due to the lack of trail signs and the trails being overgrown, it is not surprising that a number of rescues occur each year.

Rockjock TrailRockjock Trail

Rockjock TrailRockjock Trail

Rockjock TrailRockjock Trail

Rockjock TrailRockjock Trail

Rockjock TerminusIf you do a loop hike, odds are you will end up hiking on a road at least once.

Linville Gorge TrailLinville Gorge Trail

Linville Gorge TrailLinville Gorge Trail

Linville Gorge TrailLinville Gorge Trail

Linville Gorge TrailLinville Gorge Trail

Linville Gorge TrailLinville Gorge Trail

Linville Gorge Trail Sign?Devil's Hole Trail

Devil s Hole Trail?The descent "trail" to the ford at Devil's Hole

The Ford at Devil s HoleThe ford at Devil's Hole

Devil s Hole TrailDevil's Hole Trail

Conley Cove TrailConley Cove Trail

I Suggest Wearing Pants...I suggest wearing long pants...








Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Noondueler

Noondueler - Jun 17, 2011 10:14 pm - Voted 10/10

Logville Gorge

might be the more appropriate name. ;)

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Jun 18, 2011 9:15 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Logville Gorge

Logville? Yeah, that would be appropriate. By the end of our weekend we were very tired of clmbing over, and particularly under, all these logs. It's a beautiful place - just a lot of tough hiking!

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jun 22, 2011 11:00 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Logville Gorge

They don't call it "wilderness" for nothin'.

MarkDidier

MarkDidier - Jun 22, 2011 6:02 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Logville Gorge

Comparing to the other wilderness areas I have hiked in LG is different. I can't think of another area where the trails are so covered in trees and other debris. Other than the Black Crest Trail, I can't think of an area below treeline that is this challenging.

BobSmith

BobSmith - Jun 23, 2011 1:34 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Logville Gorge

It wasn't always quite to tough. So many trees are down now because of the fires, some heavy ice storms, and all of the hemlocks are dead now because of hwa. And when the hemlocks come down, they take other trees with them. It's getting pretty hairy in there these days.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.