Windy day in the Mournes

Windy day in the Mournes

Page Type Page Type: Album

In the Mournes

Encouraged by good weather forecasts that are rather something uncommon here throughout winter months, not deliberating much we jumped into the car on Sunday morning and directed ourselves to the North. Leaving Dublin, passing still sleeping Drogheda, Dundalk and Newry on the British side of the border we circled picturesque mountain range rising with its slightly whitened peaks on our right from north side by idyllic countryside.
These were the Mourne mountains, area that I knew only from bus windows when travelling once to Belfast. Around noon, we finally reached Newcastle, lovely located seaside resort on Dundrum Bay leaning itself from the west on steep slopes of Slieve Donard, the highest peak of the Mournes, which we wanted to climb by nearby Glen valley.
The day was quite sunny, but extremely windy up there. We met several hikers on the route coping with some icy traverses below the main pass.
Following famous "Mourne wall" we reached the summit of Donard around 2.30 pm in great scenery of mountains and sea panorama, being very lucky because in no more than quarter the whole visibility was totally gone and there was only that hellish cold wind that remained. Back down in Newcastle in fallling darkness, there was no point in taking the way of return along the sea, south to the mountains towards the bay of Carlingford, but that's the clear goal for the next trip there.
These mountains seem to be great hiking area absolutely worth visiting, so see you next time in the Mournes!

These are some pics from my trip to Slieve Donard. Enjoy!

Tomek

Mourne mountains, County Down, Northern Ireland, 17th January 2010



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Nanuls

Nanuls - Jan 21, 2010 4:33 pm - Voted 10/10

No snow :(

It's gone here too. Great photos though, looks like a stunning day. It's a long time since I've been in the Mournes, these shots really make me want to pay another visit.

Tomek Lodowy

Tomek Lodowy - Jan 21, 2010 6:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: No snow :(

Thanks for visit Nanuls! I could only regret that it's January and days are still so short...The Mournes made a very good impression on myself and I plan to revisit them soon in the spring, half May is most probable, I'll be on my way to highlands of Scotland and Wales then, starting by ferry from Belfast as I see the whole drive now.

Yeah, unfortunately the winter that made these mountain views so impressivly majestic is gone for now, the same here in Wicklow as I took a look yesterday. What left is to wish ourselves a great, sunny springtime this year, it really can be beautiful here, when I turn my memory back to brilliant April 2007, three weeks with no single cloud on blue sky in of the most cloudy places on the planet which I still enjoy so much, living here ;)))

EricChu

EricChu - Jan 21, 2010 8:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Beautiful album!

Great photography!

visentin

visentin - Jan 22, 2010 8:24 am - Voted 10/10

nice

album. Keep posting your trips in Ireland ! btw where is the trip with this frozen lake in facebook ? :)

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.