Winter at the Hannover Hut

Winter at the Hannover Hut

Page Type Page Type: Album

Overview

These are photos I took on February 8th, 2010, during a beautiful and deeply wintery afternoon I spent in Mallnitz in Carinthia, Austria, and at the Hannover hut which is situated on 2729 meters on the ridge that separates the Austrian federal states of Carinthia (Kärnten) and Salzburger Land. This hut, like almost all the mountain huts of the German and Austrian Alpine clubs, is shut down during winter, and even though the top station of the Ankogelbahn cable-car is only 80 meters below, there was not a soul apart from me up at the Hannover hut. In summer though, it is strongly frequented, as it's easily and effortlessly accessible thanks to the existence of the Ankogelbahn which brings people up to 2631 meters, and at the same time it's the base for the ascent of the Ankogel (3246 meters) up the normal route and is one of the resting-points along the very popular Tauernhöhenweg trail.
It took some effort going up those 80 remaining meters in height through the often thigh-deep snow, as since the latest very heavy snowfalls here in Austria nobody had gone to the hut so there was no real trail, but it was well worth it! The view to the Ankogel, the Hochalmspitze and to all the peaks of the Glockner group, the carinthian mountains and the Lienz Dolomites in the south as well as Hochkönig and Steinernes Meer in the north was of maximal clarity! I hope the photos attached can give you the right impression!

Yours truly,

Eric

Video

A slideshow of the photos I took that day at the Hannover hut, accompanied by my own recording of sonata no. 9, titled "La Messe Noire", for piano solo op. 68 by Alexander Scriabin (Russian composer, lived from 1872 until 1915).






Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
TyeDyeTwins

TyeDyeTwins - Feb 8, 2010 10:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Another....

Yet another beautiful album....it is a tragety that Utah does not have huts like this to hike to....only 1 on Mt Timpanogos. May your winter adventures keep on comming.

EricChu

EricChu - Feb 9, 2010 3:28 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Another....

Thanks a lot, TyeDyeTwins - I do hope to still have a couple adventures this month, as I have time off...big hikes aren't really possible at the moment, because there is a tremendous amount of snow in the Alps right now and the avalanche risk is fairly high, but luckily there are places like this that are close to cable-car top stations, although, as I mentioned, even those remaining 80 meters were quite a "swim"!
I hope to go also to Schluderbach in the Dolomites this or next week, from where one can get fantastic views upon the Monte Cristallo!
I liked your recent postings, by the way!
Many cheers to you,
Eric

Konrad Sus

Konrad Sus - Feb 9, 2010 2:36 am - Voted 10/10

Interesting

winter gallery from Tauern, thanks for sharing

EricChu

EricChu - Feb 9, 2010 3:36 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Interesting

My pleasure, Konrad - it's a place I've been to several times in summer, on the way to the Ankogel summit, and knowing what a great view one has already from the hut, what with it's being perched right on the main ridge of the Eastern Alps, and the fact that there is the cable-car that gets very near to it, which makes it accessible even in mid-winter, I saw it as a good opportunity for some promising winter mountain photography.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

 
AnkogelAlbums