Barlow Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.39800°N / 71.858°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From the summit of Mt....


VIA TRAILHEADS AT WINSLOW STATE PARK:From exit 20 off I-93. Take Route 3 west towards Franklin. Go past downtown Tilton and downtown Franklin and make a right on 3A and then an immediate left on Route 11 towards Andover. Go past Andover and stay on Route 11 roughly 4 miles past the Andover. Make a left on Kearsarge Valley then follw signs to Winslow State Park (fee). The trails start at the end of the parking area.


Route Description


Shot of fire tower station...


MT. KEARSARGE VIA BARLOW TRAIL
Total One Way Distance: 1.6 miles
Summit Elevation: 2,937 ft.
Vertical Rise: 1,100 ft.


The new Barlow Trail (esta. 1998) is a longer, easier and much more scenic way of hiking Mt. Kearsarge than the Wilmot Trail. It features a ton of overlooks and one section where you feel as if you are one step away from hiking off a cliff!! This is well recommended over the Wilmot Trail.

The begins left of the Wilmot Trail. It begins with a slight descent where goes underneath a power line. The trail then ascends at a easy to moderate grade up to a rock where an arrow is drawn for decending hiker. The trail begins to encounter ledges until a side trail to an overlook is encounter at 1.2 miles. From this point on the trail really begins to open up in in incredible views. At 1.4 miles hikers descending will encounter this "walk off the cliff affect" as the trail continues to produce great views. The trail then passes near a pond, pass a unique rock formation and joins the Wilmot Trail just 100 yd. before reaching the summit towers.

Shot of Mt. Cardigan from Mt....

Essential Gear

In summer only essential hiking gear such as daypack, hiking boots, water, food, etc. In winter though snowshoes are required and crampons are highly recommended.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.