Wilmot Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.39800°N / 71.858°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

VIA TRAILHEADS AT WINSLOW STATE PARK:From exit 20 off I-93. Take Route 3 west towards Franklin. Go past downtown Tilton and downtown Franklin and make a right on 3A and then an immediate left on Route 11 towards Andover. Go past Andover and stay on Route 11 roughly 4 miles past the Andover. Make a left on Kearsarge Valley then follw signs to Winslow State Park (fee). The trails start at the end of the parking area.


Route Description



From the summit of Mt....


WILMOT TRAIL TO MT. KEARSARGE:
Total One Trip: 1.1 miles
Elevation Gain: 1,100 ft.


Wilmot Trail is an old and heavily eroded trail that until 1998 was the only trail that summited Mt. Kearsarge from the southside of the mountain. Though the hike is short (1.1 miles) it can be very steep in sections and some caution needs to be used on this trail. This trail is not recommended for snowshoeing due to some of the steep pitches on the trail.

The Wilmot trail start just right of the Barlow Trail and is marked in red. It first goes past power lines and climbs moderately up Mt. Kearsarge until Halfway Rock. At Halfway Rock (0.6 miles) the trail steepens to Class 2 as it rises steeply up. The trail then moderates again and turn left and climbs moderately past a northerly overlook. The summit at about 0.9 miles begins to open with the trees beginning to dwarf. It then runs into the Barlow Trail 100 yds. before the and then continues to the summit towers.


From the summit of Mt....

Essential Gear

For summertime hiking, only essential gear is nessesary, such as hiking boots, map, water, day pack, food, etc. However I would not recommend snowshoeing this trail without a set of crampons. I would also not recommend hiking this and most other hiking trail in April or May due to the mud season. Watch out for Black Fly Season in June (bring tons of Bug repellent!!

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.