Barranco el Berriel

Barranco el Berriel

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Rock Climbing, Aid Climbing, Hiking, Scenery
Jan (and Jan again) on the airy ladders of Via Ferrata Jesús Beitia
Jan (and Jan again) on the airy ladders of Via Ferrata Jesús Beitia
Barranco El Berriel
Barranco El Berriel

The volcanic island of Gran Canaria has canyons all over the place. Mind you, none of them are really big, but they are still very scenic, and many of them offer excellent rock climbing opportinities. One such canyon is Barranco el Berriel, which lies so close to the south coast with its big, gaudy tourist resorts that you could walk from there. But you won't see any beach dwellers in the canyon. Although the desert-like environment has lots of sand, it's not as smooth as the coastal beaches and bare feet or flip flops are not the right footwear: this is the playground for hikers and climbers.

In our case, we came for the Vie Ferrate at the end of the canyon, first of all the one called Primera Luna.

The rocks at the end of Barranco el Berriel
The rocks at the end of the canyon, home of several fine Vie Ferrate


The green paddle points at the base of the rock face at the end of El Berriel. Zoom in for a closer view, or Click here to view a larger map



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
markhallam

markhallam - Jan 10, 2014 12:43 am - Voted 10/10

Ha! So you did go climbing then...

..and to think I thought that the Peak Monster had succumbed to the allure of sandcastles and fleshpots.

You have nevertheless come down in the world since the night on the summit of Mont Blanc - some 4800m, by the looks of it.

I trust your next venture will be a little more glaciated

Berg Heil Sir
Mark

rgg

rgg - Jan 10, 2014 2:14 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Ha! So you did go climbing then...

I'm in the planning stage for the rest of this year, but haven't decided anything just yet. The next trip may be soon, checking out some frozen waterfalls in the Alps. If that comes together, it will be a bit higher than the warm coastal regions of Gran Canaria, but although I'll be climbing ice then, it won't be glaciated.

Cheers, Rob

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.