Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.40534°N / 12.51162°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6978 ft / 2127 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bischof is the highest and most prominent peak in the Aurach valley and for sure one of the most visited summits of the range. Easily accessible from Aurach valley on marked trails, Bischof offers good looks into Kitzbüheler Alpen and the adjacent glacier mountains.

Its name derives from the shape of the mountain when viewed from the ascent starting at Aurach – Wildpark. The mountain looks like a huge bishops hat.

BischofBischof as seen from Hochwildalm
BischofBischof summit and ridge to Sonnspitze


Located between Groß Gebra and Weißkopfkogel to the northwest and Mesnerhöhe and Sonnspitze to the south Bischof sits on the ridge separating Aurach valley to the west from Schwarzache valley to the east.

Bischof is one of the many easy hiking summits when climbed on the normal route or the highest peak of a traverse which can be extended from Groß Gebra to Saalkogel, in many parts off-trail and epic.

A shorter version which is my favourite of the area is the traverse from Sonnspitze to Bischof, a nice and lonely ridge traverse with some rock scramble up to UIAA grade I.


Getting There

BischofBischof as seen from near Hochwildalm with some parts of the highmoor areas and blossoming Eriophorum


The best trailhead for Bischof is the hikers parking area at the switchback of the road from Oberaurach to Aurach Wildpark. It´s easy enough to find as it is the only switchback of this road.

You reach the trailhead from Kitzbühel on the road number 161 to Pass Thurn. At Aurach turn on Auracher Straße at the signpost “Wildpark Aurach” and follow this road to Oberaurach and the trailhead.

Kitzbühel can be reached by car

  • on the roads number 178 and 170 from Wörgl / Inntal and the highway to Innsbruck

  • on the roads number 173, 178 and 161 from Kufstein and the highway to Innsbruck

  • on raod number 164 coming from Saalfelden directions

  • on road number 178 and 161 coming from Salzburg / Bad Reichenhall directions




  • The nearest railway station to the trailhead Aurach is Kitzbühel.

    Busses number 4010 or 950X go to Aurach. However there is no bus service to Wildpark Aurach and the trailhead.


    Route Overview

    Routes Overview Bischof, Mesnerhöhe and Sonnspitze




    South main route:

    For the south route start at the parking area near the Wildpark Aurach.
    Follow the forest road into Aurach valley. This forest road makes 4 switchbacks, you can cut them on the old foot trail, regaining the road further up. After a water power station turn left onto a road branching off the valley road. Immediately after that turn left again onto the old foot trail leading you up to Wildalm Niederleger, where you can buy mountain cheese throughout the summer. You reach this Alm on the forest road, too (mtb route).

    BischofBischof as seen from Bischofjoch, south route
    BischofSummit view from Bischof to Gebra


    Above the Alm the old foot trail branches off the road to the right, ascend on that trail to Hochwildalm>Hochwildalm mountain hut. Again you can use the forest road, too.

    At Hochwildalm (very nice place for a break) follow the signposts to Bischof straight up the meadows on a trail until you reach a trail junction at about 1700 m. Go straight on and follow the increasingly steep trail up to Bischofjoch between Bischof and Weißkopfkogel. Turn right and follow the trail first on the ridge and later on on the western and southern slopes of Bischof until you reach the summit cross.


    Ridge crest traverse to Sonnspitze

    Go first east below the summit ridge of Bischof an use the steep south ridge down to a notch between Bischof and the rock spire of Pfaffel.
    Look out there for a narrow trail zigzagging down southwest until you can traverse below the Pfaffel rocks to the east and regain the main ridge between Bischof and Sonnspitze.

    BischofBischof summit crest and Pfaffel in the background
    BischofBischof as seen from Sonnspitze; Pfaffel and Mesnerhöhe to the right


    Just follow that ridge, there are foot tracks and some rock scrambling, stepping over Mesnerhöhe and ascend steeply over some easy rocks to Sonnspitze.

    BischofBischof and occupants of Bischofjoch
    BischofSummit view to Sonnspitze and Staffkogel
    BischofBischof and Mesnerhöhe as seen from below Hochwildalm


    Traverse possibilities:

    Epic traverse from Groß Gebra to Weißkopfkogel, Bischof, Mesnerhöhe, Sonnspitze, Staffkogel, Saalkogel and Rauber. Trailhead is Aurach Wildpark. Very long day.

    Bischof can easily be summited on a traverse from Wildseeloderhaus to Hochwildalm or Bochumer Hütte, using the uppermost south route up and down to Bischofjoch.


    Ski Route:

    Bischof is not a very frequented ski mountain. Main ski summits of the area are Groß Gebra, Weißkopfkogel and Sonnspitze.

    Those summits can be reached easily from Aurach trailhead and Hochwildalm on ski. With good snow condition Bischof can be reached with ski from Weißkopfkogel via Bischofjoch. The direct ascent to Bischofjoch with ski from Hochwildalm normally is not possible.

    A long ski ascent to Bischofjoch from the north is the route starting at alpine inn Pletzer, about 4 km south of the village of Fieberbrunn.


    Red Tape & Accommodation

    No red tape as far as I know.

    Up to now (2017) no parking fees at the trailhead.


    All kinds of accommodation can be found at

    Kitzbühel
    Aurach
    Jochberg
    Saalbach / Hinterglemm


    Mountain huts:

    Hochwildalm
    Bochumer Hütte / Kelchalm
    Wildseeloderhaus


    Gear & Mountain Condition

    BischofSempervivum alpinum can be seen frequently in the Bischof area


    Bischof is an all - season mountain.

    In the hiking season you need full hiking gear and good shoes. The summit routes are easy hikes on mostly marked mountain trails and - near the valleys - forest roads.

    The ridge crest traverse do need some rock scramble and a secure step on steep gras slopes.

    The ski routes are easy routes for beginners. Full ski and avalanche gear is required.
    Check the Tirol avalanche bulletin here.

    Current Weather:





    Maps & Guide Books

    BischofBischof (left), Mesnerhöhe, Sonnspitze and Staffkogel as seen from the Gebra ascent


    Maps

    Alpenvereinskarte 1 : 50.000; Kitzbüheler Alpen Ost, map number 34/2, Deutscher Alpenverein, 2010; - topo map with trails; the same with ski routes.

    Österreichische Karte 1 : 50.000 - UTM (ÖK50), map number 3214, Kitzbühel

    Guide Books

    Available only antiquarian but an indispensable mountain guide book:

    Georg Bleier / Kurt Kettner: Alpenvereinsführer Kitzbüheler Alpen, Bergverlag Rudolf Rother, München, 1984

    Horst Höfler, Kurt Kettner: Kitzbüheler Alpen. Mit Skirouten. Führer für Täler, Hütten und Berge, Bergverlag Rudolf Rother, München, 1976

    R. Weiss: Skitouren Kitzbüheler Alpen mit angrenzendem Salzburger Anteil am Nationalpark Hohe Tauern, Gebietsführer, Steiger Verlag Innsbruck, 2000 (there is an antiquarian edition from 1985 with main focus on Kitzbüheler Alpen, too)

    Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    Kitzbüheler AlpenMountains & Rocks