Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.22149°N / 10.57031°E
Additional Information County: Lombardia
Activities Activities: Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Scrambling, Via Ferrata
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 10387 ft / 3166 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 

Corni di Lago Scuro 3166 m

 

Corni di Lago Scuro 3166 m is a mountain located in the Adamello Group, Nodo del Venerocolo, formed by three summits amongst which the highest is the central one, the most individualized. Three main ridges converge near the summit: the SW ridge arising from Passo di Lago Scuro, the East ridge running from Passo del Maroccaro and the longest North ridge starting from Passo di Casamadre.

Corno di Lago Scuro
Corno di Lago Scuro

This latter originates the Northern Corno di Lago Scuro. The mountain is famous and frequently climbed also in reason of the presence, a few meters below the summit, of the Bivacco Amici della Montagna, a little shelter realized by the alpine guide Giovanni Faustinelli, using the remains of the Great War (WWI) still existing on the summit.

Corni di Lago Scuro from Capanna Presena
Corni di Lago Scuro from Capanna Presena
Small alpine lake near Passo del Paradiso
Small alpine lake near Passo del Paradiso

 

 

The Adamello Group and the nearby Presanella during the war were situated along the Italian-Austrian border and represented the theater of the so-called White War, during which the armies had to fight in high altitude. Corni di Lago Scuro during the WWI was at first an Austrian outpost, successively it was occupied from the Italians, who built many war stations, connecting the Cresta di Casamadre with the summit of Corni di Lago Scuro with a daring fortified itinerary starting from Passo di Casamadre.

 

 

 

Corni di Lago Scuro summit pano toward Lobbia Glacier
Corni di Lago Scuro summit pano toward Lobbia Glacier
Bivacco Amici della Montagna, a small shelter on the summit of Corno di Lago Scuro
Bivacco Amici della Montagna, a small shelter on the summit of Corno di Lago Scuro

 

 

This route, recently refitted, constitutes the well known Sentiero dei Fiori  (Flowers Trail), a magnificent itinerary with stretches of Via Ferrata and bold metal bridges hanging in the air, allowing the scramblers to reach the summit of Corni di Lago Scuro without climbing difficulty, anyhow requiring a minimum of experience on rough terrain and the proper "via ferrata" gear.

Getting There

The starting point is Passo del Tonale, located at 1883 m., an alpine col dividing the Ortles-Cevedale Group to the north from the Adamello and Presanella groups to the South. It connects the Val di Sole (Trento province) to the East with Alta Valle Camonica (Ponte di Legno, Brescia province) to the West.

Getting to Passo del Tonale

- From Autobrennero (Trento or Bolzano) exit San Michele and take the road 43 running through Val di Non and then Val di Sole, getting to Passo del Tonale.

Fighting between two puppies of ibex near Passo Casamatta
Fighting between two puppies of ibex near Passo Casamatta

From Pinzolo and Madonna di Campiglio (Val Rendena)

The second hanging bridge on Sentiero dei Fiori
The second hanging bridge on Sentiero dei Fiori

Take the road getting to Passo Campo Carlo Magno and Malè, here turn to left taking the road to Passo del Tonale

- From Brescia and Bergamo

The roads coming from Brescia and Bergamo combine near Darfo into the state road SS42 of Tonale and Mendola, which is running near the western limits of the Adamello Natural Park, crossing the villages of Boario Terme, Breno, Cimbergo, Paspardo, Cedègolo, Edolo, Temù and getting to the important resort of Ponte di Legno m. 1258 (66 km from Darfo), then to Passo del Tonale.

Corno di Lago Scuro main routes

There are two main routes to climb Corni di Lago Scuro: Spigolo Faustinelli and Sentiero dei Fiori. The approach to both routes is from the Passo del Tonale, reaching the Passo del Paradiso via the cable car starting from Passo del Tonale.

Corni di Lago Scuro, view toward Passo Presena
Corni di Lago Scuro, view toward Passo Presena
Climbing a fine corner on NE ridge, Corni di Lago Scuro
Climbing a fine corner on NE ridge

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

- Spigolo Faustinelli (North-East ridge)

A classic and pleasant climb following the obvious ridge facing NE and overlooking the Presena basin - Max IV grade UIAA, 250 m, 8 pitches From Passo del Paradiso reach Capanna Presena, then scamble up along the scree slopes heading towards the obvious ridge overlooking tha basin.

 

- Sentiero dei Fiori

It's a long crossing connecting Passo di Casamadre with the main summit of Corni di Lago Scuro at first across a path and a Via Ferrata. From Passo del Paradiso hike up rightward to Passo di Casamatta (signpost "Sentiero dei Fiori"). 

A window inside a WWI cave along Sentiero dei Fiori
A window inside a WWI cave along Sentiero dei Fiori
Suspended bridge along Sentiero dei Fiori
Suspended bridge along Sentiero dei Fiori

 

From the pass it starts this beautiful itinerary across caves, suspended bridges and some easy sections of Via Ferrata, getting the Bivacco "Amici della Montagna", locate a few meters below the main summit.

See here on Summitpost the complete report of the route by alpinbetaSentiero dei Fiori

Red Tape

Logo of Parco Naturale Adamello - Brenta

 

Logo of Parco Adamello

 

 

 

No fees no permits required. The Adamello group is governed by two parks: Parco Naturale Adamello-Brenta, the largest protected area in Trentino, established in the year 1967. It's located in Western Trentino and with its 620.51 square kilometers includes the mountain groups of Adamello, Presanella and Brenta Dolomites, separated by Val Rendena.  On the Lombardy side there is the Parco dell'Adamello, which extends for 510 square kilometers on the left orographic side of Valle Camonica, in the north-eastern portion of the Province of Brescia. Camping is not allowed and fires are strictly forbidden.

When to Climb

Best months are June, July, August and September.

Where to stay

Different possibilities of accomodation in Val di Sole and Val Camonica. Near the summit there is the Bivacco "Amici della Montagna", a small emergency shelter .

People at the shelter on Corno di Lago Scuro summit
People at the shelter on Corno di Lago Scuro summit

Meteo

Meteo Trentino
Meteoblue Lombardia

Guidebooks and Maps

 

Adamello Guidebook

 

 

"Adamello vol. II" - Pericle Sacchi (Guide dei Monti d'Italia CAI-TCI)

Map "Adamello - Presanella" - 4LAND Alpine Cartography n. 138 1:25.000



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Adamello GroupMountains & Rocks