Englestead Canyon

Englestead Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Englestead Canyon, located on the east side of Zion, has a wonderfully dramatic start with a spectacular 300 foot drop. Several more rappels follow with the exit being one of two choices: the longer exit out the bottom of Orderville, or a shorter, less scenic exit up Orderville.

We started hiking about 8:45 am and after about 45 minutes arrived at the big drop into the canyon. We used a 300 foot static rope, which allowed us to make the big drop in one rappel. I went first, but just over 200 feet down, at big ledge, the rope was very tangled so I stopped, went off rappel, and untangled the rope before continuing.

My favorite rappel was about 100 feet down a beautiful flute. Just before entering Orderville Canyon several short rappels off logs and other natural anchors where required.  We exited down Orderville canyon which was mostly dry up to its last third which then required one swim and several chest deep wades.

It was around 5:00 pm before we had to do the swim/wades and the sun was out of the canyon making it chilly. It was about 7:30 pm when we reached the Temple of Sinawava, and 8:45 pm by the time we shuttled to the visitor center where one of our cars waited.

Englestead Canyon
Englestead Canyon

Getting There

Take North Fork Road from highway 9 until you meet Twin Knolls Road (5.4 miles). You have two choices: 1) Continue up North Fork Road for 2.8 miles. There will be a parking area and rough road to your left between two fences. Follow this down the drainage, passing old logging equipment until you reach the head of the canyon (another ~1.5 miles). 2) Continue up Twin Knolls Road until it tees into Beaver Road. Take a right and follow the road to its end, the East Mesa Trailhead (signs for Observation Point).

The Big Drop into Englestead Canyon of Zion NP
The Big Drop into Englestead Canyon of Zion NP

Red Tape

Zion permit required... and maybe two permits.

"Permitting: Let’s clear up any confusion. Englestead exits Orderville Canyon, just inside Zion National Park so you need a permit for Englestead. When you exit into Orderville Canyon, you have two choices: left or right. If you turn right and exit up Orderville canyon, there is no need for an additional Orderville permit. However, if you turn left and continue down Ordervillet to exit through the Narrows, you also need a permit for Orderville. Obtaining an Orderville permit on the same date as your Englestead permit can be difficult. Unable to secure an Orderville permit on the day of our Englestead permit, we took the exit right, up Orderville Canyon", from Throw and Go: Englestead Canyon Trip Report - KÜHL Blog (kuhl.com)

A Beautiful Flute in Englestead Canyon
A Beautiful Flute in Englestead Canyon

External Links

Throw and Go: Englestead Canyon Trip Report - KÜHL Blog (kuhl.com)



Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.