Telephone Canyon

Telephone Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Telephone Canyon of Zion National Park, Utah, is located a short distance off the Park's West Rim Trail.  Although the West Rim Trail more or less runs north to south down the center of the Park it is called the the West Rim because it is west of Zion Canyon (the main drag in the park which contains Zion Lodge, The Grotto, and the Temple of Sinawava).  Involving a five plus mile approach hike this canyon may not be as crowded as others in the park.  Note also that a permit is required.

Although a relatively short canyon, Telephone Canyon involves many rappels.  Most groups rappel 13 times along with three downclimbs (which some might prefer to rappel).

The name "Telephone Canyon" is a direct result of telephone lines that once ran up this canyon.

One of the 13 rappels of Telephone Canyon
One of the 13 rappels of Telephone Canyon

Getting There

From the main, overcrowded, visitor center hop on the bus heading into Zion Canyon.  Exit the bus at The Grotto stop, along with the huge crowd that will be setting off to Angels Landing.

From the Grotto stop, cross the main road and use a bridge to access a paved path on the opposite side of the Virgin River.  Head up stream on the paved path paralleling the river before turning sharply up the west canyon wall for nearly two miles on moderately strenuous, and slightly exposed switchbacks. The paved trail wanders through Refrigerator Canyon, a shady section, that leads to an iconic set of 21 switchbacks carved in 1926 dubbed Walter's Wiggles. Walter's Wiggles climb to Scout Lookout, a small bluff overlooking Zion Canyon with access to Angels Landing. At this point veer left (north) to access the West Rim trail which is marked with signs displaying the print of a hiking boot (aka waffle stomper). 

West Rim Trail Marker
West Rim Trail Marker

The West Rim Trail bends away from Angels Landing across open slickrock to a crest that drops into a narrow canyon filled with trees.

Along the way to Cabin Spring the trail contours around the north side of Mount Majestic before it starts climbing again.  At this point Telephone Canyon is visible off to the right.

After hiking for 5 miles (from the Grotto) you will encounter the intersection of the West Rim Trail with the Telephone Canyon Trail. A sign points to Cabin Spring approximately 100 yards away on the Telephone Canyon Trail.  As you wander north on Telephone Canyon trail, watch for Telephone Canyon off to your right, which will appear as a shallow drainage. Work your way into the shallow canyon, and continue downhill to the canyon's first rappel which is a sharp 155-foot drop. 

From the West Rim/Telephone trail interestion the West Rim Trail continues another 9.9 miles to its northern terminus, so don't go that way!

Dropping in on the 155-foot, first rappel, of Telephone Canyon
Dropping in on the 155-foot, first rappel, of Telephone Canyon

 

Red Tape

The canyon requires a permit.  Even more bothersome you will have to endure the crowded shuttle bus as well as the hoards of people wiggling their way up to Angels Landing.

A group at the at the bottom of the last rappel of of Telephone Canyon
A group at the at the bottom of the last rappel of of Telephone Canyon

Camping

Good luck obtaining a spot in the National Park.

External Links

Canyoneering Upper Telephone Canyon - Zion Main Canyon - Road Trip Ryan

Telepone Canyon, Zion National Park - Canyoneering USA



Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.