Mt. Powell - Bliss Atop the Gores

Mt. Powell - Bliss Atop the Gores

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Aug 21, 2010
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
I drove a short distance to Dillon after snagging Grays and Torreys via Kelso Ridge on an eventually sunny Friday morning. The rest of the day found me lounging around in the motel room, occasionally emerging outside to scavenge for coffee and good Mexican food. As has been the case all week I got up to a later than ideal start Saturday morning and drove west along I-70 to Vail, then along the long gravel road to Piney Lake.

Piney LakePiney Lake Morning



The Gores are one of many ranges that have captured my imagination over the years. On my first foray back in February 2007 out west they loomed forbiddingly in the distance from CO-9, a high wall of icy, jagged ciphers. Being a sucker for range highpoints Powell has been on my list for awhile, but I’ve never seriously made plans for climbing it until mid-week on this current trip, when I needed a summit to fill in my last day in Colorado before flying out back east. The stats on the hike didn’t look too bad: 10 miles RT, 4200 feet elevation gain. I couldn’t find a lot of pictorial beta though, and upon reading about all the trail finding difficulties other people have had below Kneeknocker Basin I felt some anxiousness, especially as I counted upon seeing very few people on the trail, even on a Saturday.

I parked and walked past the ranches at Piney Lake. The sun was rising over the Gores to the east, blinding my view of the upper reaches of the route ahead. Near the end of Piney Lake I saw some hikers ahead and felt some twinges of relief; did this mean I would have company on the climb?

A not so friendly MooseOne of two angry moose



It was a couple. This was their second attempt on Mt. Powell. Their first had been curtailed by weather. This time the trip was about to be curtailed a lot sooner for them. They told me they had been waiting at this spot for about an hour now. There were two moose ahead. They were unfriendly, growling and threatening to charge the couple whenever they approached and tried passing through them on the trail. I took a look. One was below the trail to the right, by some bushes towards the lake. The other was out of sight but off on the hills and woods to the left of the trail. After talking to the couple for a few minutes I decided to test my luck. I left the trail and contoured left up the slopes so as to put some distance between myself and the moose below. As I walked forward that moose ambled its way further from the trail towards the lake. I heard a growl and some rustling from above; this must be the second moose. I couldn’t see it from where I was, but as I’ve already walked past the first moose I felt it safe to contour back down towards the trail, away from that second moose just as it was feeling threatened and wanting to reciprocate. This worked, and I didn’t hear from it again.

Afterwards I looked back at the couple. They were too far away for any audible communication between us, but seeing as I had a good view now of where both moose now stood, I tried to guide them through via hand signals. They were hesitant, but at one point they did proceed further, just a little, before being scared back by a growl. After this it became apparent they weren’t going to try the same moose traverse I did, so after about 10 minutes of fruitless hand signals I gave them a wave and continued my way down the trail, into the Eagle’s Nest Wilderness.

Marmot standing sentryEntering Eagles Nest Wilderness: Marmot stands guard



The rest of the trail was flat and uneventful, though the sun in my eyes proved a continued annoyance. I bumped into some other hikers/campers near some falls on the Piney River, right where the trail for Kneeknocker Basin splits off on the left. It was apparent that they were sticking around the river, so I continued by myself up the side trail.

It was steep at first, then eased a little bit. I began to see rocks and alpine territory. I was just beginning to congratulate myself on successfully navigating my way through the supposedly horrible trail when I realized I lost it. I had wandered too far to the left; knowing that the trail sticks very close to the Piney River I tried to make my way back towards the sound of the water, traversing through some thick brush and willows. I re-discovered the trail and, sparse and muddy as it was, had no problems keeping course all the way up to Kneeknocker Basin.


Though it lost and regained a few hundred feet, the first 3 miles of the trail from Piney Lake to the spur was cake. Trail-finding difficulties aside the spur from the main trail to Kneeknocker Basin had some steep sections with rougher footing – nothing technical, but physically taxing. The trail is flat as you pass through the Basin, then ascends up to the Saddle. Many charming small streams and streambeds traverse the trail in the Basin.


Interesting slopes to the leftTerrain opening up
Morning viewKneeknocker morning
Game PassGame Pass above the Basin




There is a good climber’s trail on the left side of the wide gully leading up to Kneeknocker Pass for the first half of the ascent. It gets steeper near the top, and I found that hopping on the relatively stable talus was preferable to the steep and tricky footing of the climber’s trail.

Looking down slopeOn the way up...
Towards Kneeknocker Saddle...and up...
NW ramparts of Peak C...to Kneeknocker Pass


Midway through the gully I spied a mountain goat peering down at me, a thousand feet or so up, on top of the rocky South West Ridge of Powell. A few minutes later it disappeared. Some more sweaty elevation gain later I saw it had descend to the top of the Pass, where it still peered down at the slow fellow below. I made achingly slow progress towards it, slogging up rock after rock. It ran off for parts unknown as I got near, however, and not long after that I reached Kneeknocker Saddle.

A goat watches my progressA goat above
It gets rockierNear the top...
The goat awaits...the goat awaits
East from Kneeknocker SaddleView from the saddle


I had thought about taking a nice break at the saddle, but it turned out to be very cramped and narrow, with barely a place to sit. The grandeur of Peak C and the views to the east inspired awe, but looking at Powell only provoked discouragement. The south face is huge and looked to be a worse slog than what I just climbed. I was already pretty tired at this point, and thought it later than ideal in the day. The clouds were holding off though, and the area was supposed to be T-Storm free all through the evening. The descent from the saddle involved more elevation loss than I expected, on steep, rough dirt as well.

Descent from Kneeknocker SaddleDiscouraging descent
Kneeknocker PassTo be reclimbed
Mt. PowellMt Powell...
Massive Mt. Powell...awaits


My Approx route up South Facemy approx route up



As I headed towards the large boulders below the south face I thought seriously about turning back, just out of sheer exhaustion. But then, I’m stubborn too, I had come this far, and it'd be a shame to waste such perfect weather. So I pushed on. The terrain varied on this last, long section, starting with talus, then grassy, thistly slopes, then more talus, then a rocky scree gully.


The ascent starts hereStart of South Face
Talus SlopesThe terrain
Steep but simpleSteep but simple


Powell South FaceHalfway there? Not quite? Uh.
Peak C and GoresViews? Yeah. Peak C


There were climber’s trails everywhere, parallel to and criss-crossing with each other. A deeply rutted climber’s trail tracked alongside some steeper rocks to the right, on the edge of the wide gully. I soon hopped onto the rocks and ascended large, black and yellow boulders reminiscent of upper reaches of Mt. Washington (NH), from my own neck of the woods. It was fun scrambling, but soon that became a drag as well, and though I was disappointed by the false summit atop the boulders, the real summit was now visible and only a few more rock hops away.


Upper reaches of South FaceGain rocks on right
Flat Saddle-ish area west of summitLooking left
BouldersBoulders
BouldersBoulders
False SummitBoulders
West of Powell SummitHigh saddle from above
Actual Powell SummitActual Summit
Powell SummitThe Summit!




I clambered up to the small summit completely drained. I checked the time. I had left the car exactly four hours ago; I thought it felt longer than that.

But the summit was absolutely pristine , and I marveled from this privileged perch a view that stretched right into the rugged heart of the Gores. Noted Colorado Guidebook author Gerry Roach talks about “Transcendent Summits” in his tomes. Though I had hoped for company on this climb, I was glad I had this summit to myself.


Eagles Nest
Dora Lake; Duck Lake
E from Powell Summit
NW from Powell Summit
Vail Mtn
Spectacular Gores




Don’t get me wrong, I’m a very social guy, but only when I’m alone on top of a mountain do I experience that transcendental feeling, where every sound, sight, and smell vividly engrain themselves into my memory. Where I feel alone, just me, and the land, and we’re on the same side. I had had a series of transcendent summits this past week (all solitary), each one eclipsing the last, with a pretty near transcendent climb (Kelso) thrown in there for good measure. This topped it all though. As Aaron Johnson says on the SP site here, only a privileged few get to experience the Gores, and I felt perfectly privileged, whereby in this one, rare, moment, the Gores felt it proper to reveal just a few of their secrets to me.


Heart of the Gores
Peak C and others
Duck Lake
Piney Peak (11,573 )
Eagles Nest
Eilliot Ridge



The climb down was not as much of a struggle as I thought, but it still wore me down gradually.

Looking down South SlopeGoing down
Peak CPeak C
Down South SlopesStill descending
Rock looks like Petrified WoodCool looking rock
Kneeknocker PassThe Pass below


Peak C and GoresA weary climber's consolation?
Gores...these Views
Peak CSentinel of the downclimb





Trying a technique of staying low and waddling down at a quick pace, I surprised myself and didn’t even fall once.

Gores
Gores
Impressive Gore Peak
Groes



Kneeknocker Basin was perfectly tranquil on my return visit. The early afternoon sun gleamed off the grass and the surrounding rocks and I felt like I was walking through the fabled Eldorado cities of gold. Had they ever existed though, I doubt they could rival this place.


Piney LakePiney Lake
Halfway down from Kneeknocker PassDescending to...
Kneeknocker Basin...Kneeknocker Basin
Peak to the west of Game PassKneeknocker Basin
A high perch
Kneeknocker Basin
Kneeknocker PassLooking Back - Kneeknocker Saddle


I thought I was home free once I returned to the main trail. A few minutes later I was hopelessly lost, having gone off on a side trail that disappeared in the high willows. I backtracked back up to the trail, then followed it as it reascended a hundred feet or two on the way back to Piney Lake.

Looking back into the GoresLeaving the Gores




I grunted at the throngs of tourists as I approached my rental, looking back at the magnificent views of the Gores, denied me that morning by the same sun that had illuminated my experience in Kneeknocker Basin and now, was slowing cooking me in my final moments of thirst and exhaustion. I walked past casual hikers in tshirts and shorts, grinning inside as if I knew a secret they didn’t.


Mt. PowellLast look at Powell


Cars continued to throng in towards the ranch as I drove the long road out back to Vail. I grimaced as I saw the oncoming invasion of the worst plague that can ever befall the pristine land I had just left: ATV’ers.




A note: While the net elevation gain from trailhead to summit is 4,200’, including the ups and downs the gross probably approaches 4,900’-5,000’. Most of the elevation gain is on taxing, steep, dirt trails, talus, and scree, so come prepared and give yourself more time that you normally would for a 10 mile hike.

Also, I’m glad I wore long pants. There’s plenty of these past Kneeknocker Basin:

Lots of thistlesSharp! Bad! Ouch!




Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Feb 25, 2011 1:50 am - Voted 10/10

Very Nice

I climbed Powell 2 weeks after you did. Some of your photos look identical to the ones I got.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount PowellTrip Reports