Payson Lakes - Loafer Mtn. Trail

Payson Lakes - Loafer Mtn. Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.98300°N / 111.623°W
Additional Information Route Type: Day Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the directions on the front page for accessing Payson Lakes and the Loafer Mountain Trail.

Route Description


The signed trail heads north, gaining very little elevation and passing through a few small openings where various trails come and go (namely the Bennie Creek Cutoff Trail - a longer approach). The primary trail you will be on will remain obvious as it continues straight ahead north climbing to a ridge at 8,400 feet.

Once on this ridge say goodbye to the shade and start climbing up the very steep west facing slope. It finally eases up at 9,600 feet and you will see Santaquin for the first time. The trail wanders around a few small bumps on the ridge and as you approach Loafer (the highpoint of the ridge you are hiking) the trail splits left, passing under Loafer and heading for a saddle between the peaks. Should you want to climb Loafer, just climb up the faint trail leading up it's west ridge.

The hike to the saddle between the peaks is on the north facing slope of Loafer, and offers some much needed shade. From the saddle there are nice views east down some cliffs. The final ascent is steep again and the trail narrows in some spots as it crosses some slippery, gravel-type slopes.

At the time of my ascent, a sign on top said "Loafer Mountain, elev. 10,687'" but that is obviously not quite correct. Views are outstanding. Be prepared for a full day of hiking. The roundtrip is eleven miles with a climb of 3,300 feet. Extra ups and downs made it closer to 3,600 feet.

Essential Gear


In summer, no special gear is needed beyond typical day hiking equipment.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
MrWasatch

MrWasatch - Aug 4, 2019 9:39 am - Hasn't voted

Trailhead Closed

Due to October 2018 fire and downed trees this trailhead is closed as of August 2019.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.