Poios Brancos

Poios Brancos

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.33634°N / 7.53628°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5597 ft / 1706 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

    
Heavily eroded Granite
Heavily eroded Granite

1800m view
1800m view


Poios Brancos is one of the major peaks of the Serra da Estrela , a National Park in Portugal home to the highest mountains on the mainland of Portugal. With it's 1706 meters in elevation, the views from the summit of this mountain are truly amazing. On a clear day you are able too see large parts of the Portugese, green lowlands surrounding the Estrela mountains. You truly feel like you are on  'top of Portugal'. Furthermore, this peak offers some impressive views towards the other main Estrela mountains: The sharp peak of Cantaro Magro (1926m) is a great sight, as well as it's slightly smaller brother Cantaro Raso (1917m). Behind Raso the summit of Torre (1997m) ,the highest point on the mainland of Portugal is visible as well. Last but not least, the view over the Zezere valley is majestic. This valley, carved out by glaciers millions of years ago, is perfectly straight, like a higher force had a hand in creating this wonder. 

Summit view!
Summit view!

Getting close to the summit
Getting close to the summit


Poios Brancos can be described as a large hill, with a large Granite outcrop forming the summit block. Climbing this mountain therefore, is quite straightforward. Hiking skills are enough to reach the edge of the summit block (T2). For the final part to the actual summit some scrambling up the Granite summit block is needed, but no serious climbing skills are required here. Poios Brancos is a great hikers destination, and the impressive summit views make a trip to this peak a very rewarding one.

Another advantage is the quietness; the Estrela National Park is well known in Portugal, but not in the outside world. Hiking in the region means being accompanied by silence. The chance of encountering other people during an ascent on Poios Brancos is very small, which in my opinion, is a great plus.

Polos Brancos (1706m)
Poios Brancos with the Granite Outcrop marking the summit


Getting to the Summit


The starting point for the climb of Poios Brancos lies on the main road that crosses the Estrela National Park. This road starts at the village of Manteigas and finds it's way trough the Zezere valley, where it finally starts a climb up to Torre (1997m). When you follow this road (by car is easiest, but it can also be done by bike), at the end of the Zezere valley (west side) the road makes a sharp corner to the right (the first corner when the road is gaining elevation), this is the point you should start. The description sounds a little vague, but since there are no other sharp corners before it, it simply cannot be missed. Another easy pinpoint is that in this corner a side road starts (to the south-east) The location of the starting point for this route can also be seen as point '1' on the map below.

From this point, start by following the road that starts in the corner of the main road. At your right hand you are able to see the summit of Poios Brancos at all time. It is as easy as heading towards it. There is no main route leading towards the summit, since the ascent is not very steep you can find your own way up. Getting up the hill requires about one to two hours. From here it is impossible to miss the granite outcrop that froms the summit block of Poios Brancos. On top is a white tower-like structure of about 2 meters high that marks the actual summit. Scramble your way up the granite summit block (many routes possible), this will take about 5 minutes. Now you have reached the summit: Enjoy the great views!

Descent is the same way back. Since there is no marked route you can find your own route down as well. 

Serra da Estrela MapSerra da Estrela Map

Maps and Practical Information

Zezere
Zezere

When you go hiking in Serra da Estrela it is very recommended that you are in the posession of a good topographical map of the area. The tourist information centres offer a good map:

1:50.000 Carta Turistica Serra da Estrela


Other options are:

-->1:50,000 Gouveia 17D, 
-->Guarda 18C and/or Covilha 20C maps, 
-->1:10,000 Viseu Fl17, Guarda Fl18, Covilha fl20, 
-->1:200,000 Beiras Fl14 maps.


These are available from the Instituto Geografico e Cadastral in Lisbon or regional offices in Porto, Castelo Branco and Coimbra.  

Manteigas: Starting Point

Serra de Estrela
Manteigas

Manteigas
is the village closest to Torre. It is possible to visit this nice town to eat or drink something, or to spend the night.

Some info on Manteigas:

It is located inside the Estrela Park and therefore closer to the mountains. It is located at an altitude of 700 meters at the end of the famous Zezere valley, which is an ancient glacial valley. From this mountain town you have great views over the Estrela mountains. Especially the view towards Poios Brancos and the mighty Cantaro Magro are beautiful.
The history of Manteigas dates from the pre-Christian era, but its first charter was granted in 1188 by King Sancho I. Obvious Typical shepherds jackets, wood carvings, tin work, sheep-skin items and granite carving are also among handicrafts that are a reflection of the past. Other flavours from the past and the mountains can be savoured in the roast kid, mountain style stew, bean stew trout, smoked sausages, whey cheese, Serra cheese, milk cakes and Crista cakes, "cavacas" (a kind of hard, sweet cake or biscuit) and "queijadas" (a type of cheese-cake).

Although somewhat further away: Seia and Covilha are also good destinations when planning a trip to Torre.

How to get there

Portugal Map
Access Map Portugal
 
Google MAP of Torre Region
Overview MAP


The main access routes by car are: (See Map at left)

The A25 highway when you are coming from Porto
THe A1 and IC 16 when you are coming from Lisbon
The A2 and A23 when you are coming from Faro
The A23 when you are coming from Spain


Distances:

Lisboa – Manteigas: 315 km (3h45)
Porto – Manteigas: 200 km (2h50)
Coimbra - Manteigas: 131 Km (2h10)
Faro – Manteigas: 548 km (5h45)
Vilar Formoso - Manteigas: 105 Km (1h30)

Visitors Centers/ Information

1)Rua 1º de Maio, 2

6260-101 MANTEIGAS
Tel.: (351) 275 980060/1
Fax: (351) 275 980069
e-mail: pnse@icn.pt

2)Pr. da República, 28


6270-496 SEIA
Tel.: (351) 238 310 440
Fax. (351) 238 310 441

3)Casa da Torre, Av. Bombeiros Voluntários, 8


6290-520 GOUVEIA
Tel.: (351) 238 492 411
Fax. (351) 238 494 183

4)R. D. Sancho I, 3


6300-548 GUARDA
Tel.: (351) 271 225 454

Camping/Hotels

The following links are of two nearby campgrounds:

Camping Cegonhas


Camping Quintadacera


There are some hotels in the area, especially in Covilha.

Weather

For the local weather and webcams follow THIS LINK






Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Serra da EstrelaMountains & Rocks