The Krumltal valley, known as the "valley of the vultures"

The Krumltal valley, known as the "valley of the vultures"

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

Unfortunately, I didn't see more than two big birds from a distance...

...one of which I managed to photograph in flight, but it was a lovely day up there all the same in this beautiful and wild side valley of the Rauris valley in the Austrian Hohe Tauern group, and I met someone there who has been working for years for the Bartgeierprojekt (Bearded Vulture Project), an initiative that has been going on for 24 years in the Krumltal with the purpose of reestablishing the settlement of the bearded vulture (gyptaeus barbatus) in the Alps. This species had been extinguished sometime around 1900. For those who understand German (as unfortunately there is no English version) and who are interested in the topic, here's the link.
Just two weeks ago, the first real fruit of all these efforts has been born - a young Griffin vulture has been born in the valley, and is already able to fly. At the moment this is a bit of a sensation in the whole Rauris area...

External Links

A page in English upon the reintroduction of the Bearded Vulture into the Alps

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.