Escape Velocity

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.01084°N / 23.76322°E
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing, Bouldering, Mixed
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.0 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: 5
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Escape Velocity is a modified West Ridge route and Thin Mans Ridge traverse. Rather than heading directly from the West Ridge, it ascends the southern side of the ridge until Peak 2 almost fully on a vertical wall. Its peculiar name was given after i used it thinking i would be a better descend path, and well it proved otherwise. The amethyst type crystal rock face that Escape Velocity climbs is very unique and offers for a fun and methodical technical climb. The face might not seem like a lot but due to the sand like nature of the dirt it is impossible to reach the ridge (from that side) without traversing the entirety of the Escape Velocity route. 

Getting There

Head to the coordinates on the route page, for directions to reach the tower head to its page. 

Route Description

Unnamed Image
The route can be interpreted in different ways, here in yellow is approach path 1 and in blue approach path 2 the main section of the route is the purple/yellow segment that is a traverse on crystal rock. This route is a very tasking climb that even though it doesn't pose the danger of death it can lead to serious accidents. The route meets the main West Ridge Route at peak 2 and continues normally. 

As you can tell from the picture to the right the wall is not very high being 2.2m at the highest point but it is rather steep without many grips and thus it is a difficult route to climb. 
Unnamed Image
This is the crystal wall that must be traversed

External Links

None


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.