North Direct

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.01112°N / 23.76370°E
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing, Bouldering, Mixed, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 3
Additional Information Grade: III
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the main route on the Outcrop tower, originating from the north ridge. This was my first route to the summit and is although exposed the best non technical option for reaching the summit. It follows the north ridge and then traverses the face once or twice to finally end up under Surprise chimney and in turn the summit. It looks easier than it is and the descent is a very exasperating endeavor. 

Getting There

To climb this route head to the coordinates designated on the route, just under the tower. The ways to access the tower can be find on the main page.

Route Description

The route is pretty straight forward but is none the less tricky. From the designated coordinates you must head up the ridge until the Tree Line Head wall, a visible obstacle there you must traverse the face to start gaining elevation again. From here you must start zig zaging up the face until you reach the cliff band near the lone tree, there head east towards peak two until you can start heading west again to reach summit chimney and finally Surprise chimney(denoted with red) and the summit. Denoted with lime is the route.
Unnamed Image
North Direct Route 3D Map
 
We must note that the route is very exposed as the face is very steep and you shouldn't attempt this climb without experience, i also must stress the importance of a helmet on this route as a fall from any point beyond the head wall could and will prove fatal

The route is very hard to descend and needs to be treated with delicate moves and a lot of attention so be wary of the return and in this case the return which is a necessity is even harder. Although having the appropriate gear you could be able to rappel from the head wall as i believe the tree is stable enough to act as an anchor. 

Unnamed Image
North face ascent descent from under Three Tree Rock

External Links

None

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.