Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.18574°N / 22.48039°E
Additional Information County: Bieszczadzki Powiat
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4009 ft / 1222 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Smerek is a seperated top on the extension of the Polonyna (Połonina) Wetlińska ridge.
The border between Smerek and Połonina Wetlińska is Przełęcz Orłowicza (pass).
Połonina is a special name of the mountain meadow in Polish Bieszczady. Smerek is situated at the NW side of this polonyna. Sometimes another name of this peak is used - Wysoka (Tall Peak). Its a part of Bieszczadzki Park Narodowy (Bieszczady National Park)
Smerek has two summits, but trail goes to lower summit, because upper is closed to tourism. (nature prevention reason)
PathAutumn in Bieszczady

Getting There

The best way to get here is a car. This is the most S-E part of Poland, so you can arrive only from north:
- road E 397 - toward border with Slovakia (Barwinek), in Tylawa turn left - road 897,
- road 84, in Lesko - road 893 and in Cisna - 897 (turn left)
- from Ustrzyki Dolne - road 896

Red Tape

Smerek is situated in Bieszczady National Park area.
It has the status of a strictly protected zone. Standard National Park rules apply, such as: no camping, stick to the marked routes, do not disturb wildlife, etc. Enrance fee is about 1,5 euro. In the Bieszczady is the possibility of meeting with the brown bear, must also be careful about adder snake.

Camping

The best possibility of accomodation is "Schronisko PTTK Chatka Puchatka" - mountain hut - at Połonina Wetlińska - about 1 hour of hiking from Wyżnia Pass.
Nearest camping is in the Wetlina and Wolosate. Many possibilities of accommodation in Wetlina, Ustrzyki Górne - hotels, guesthouses, etc.

External Links

wikipedia
Chatka Puchatka hut

Marked Trails

- from south - yellow marked trail running from village Wetlina - (about 2 hours tu summit)
- traverse of Połonina Wetlińska and Smerek - red marked trail running from Wyżnia Pass to Kalnica village - whole trail about 6 hours, of course you can hike in the opposite direction
- from south - yellow marked trail - running from Zatwarnica - about 2 hours to summit.
Panorama from Smerek

Detaile map of hiking trails


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Western BieszczadyMountains & Rocks