Son of Easy O

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.73600°N / 74.191°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.8 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Son of Easy O is a great roof problem that is a great step up from Shockley’s Ceiling and a nice lead into more difficult roofs like Modern Times. The climbing is wonderfully varied on this route, too, featuring everything from jamming, balancy face moves, and a few strong roof moves. This route will keep you thinking form the start.

Getting There


From the West Trapps (upper) Parking Lot: Walk ~5-7 minutes along the carriage road and pass the “Uber-toilet” (the compost toilet by the Uberfall), you are looking for a thin, s-shaped crack to the right of some large, detached blocks sitting immediately at the base of the wall. The start of Son of Easy O will be ~30-40 ft. from the spindly tree that marks the start of City Lights (5.8- and another Gunks classic)

From the Wawarsing (lower) Parking Lot: Ascend the Stairmaster to the East Trapps Trail Junction. You will actually have to turn BACK towards the Uberfall to access Son of Easy O. Continue back towards the Uber-toilet, looking for the same features described above. If you pass this landmark, you have gone too far.


Route Description


Pitch 1: Start at the thin crack ~30-40 ft to the left of City Lights. Jam up through the pods and pull to the thin face above. Follow the face up and slightly left to a ledge to the left of the overhang and left-facing corner of pitch 2. You can belay off gear directly underneath the roof, move left (~12-15 ft.), or move way left (~30 ft.) out to the belay bolts over on Easy Overhang (overkill…). Pitch 1 and 2 can also be combined if you have enough gear. (5.8, ~90 ft.)

Pitch 2: Regardless from where you belay, aim for the left-facing corner system and roof. Get into the corner to move upward and a bit right to turn the roof (Hint: be aware that your terrain is a corner…). After the roof, easier terrain will lead you to the top of the cliff. (5.8, ~75 ft.)

Descent: You have 3 options:

  • Walk left and use the rappel line over Baby
  • Walk right and use the rappel line over City Lights
  • Huff it back to the Uberfall and scramble/down-climb back to
    the carriage road.

Unnamed Image
Jug hauling past the crux on Son of Easy O


Essential Gear


  • Helmet
  • 60m rope (doubles, if you so desire)
  • BD nuts, sizes 4-13, or equivalent
  • Cams from ~size 1 C3 to #3 C4, add small TCUs, if necessary
  • 6-8 shoulder-length runners, 2 double-length runners
  • Anchor cord, extra ‘biners, personal anchor system, etc.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.