Cheeseler, 5.8, 2 Pitches

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 31.92371°N / 109.97456°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.8 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview/Approach

Dow leading the 1st Pitch
Dow leading the 1st Pitch
2nd Pitch
2nd Pitch

Cholla and Polychrome Domes are located in the high reaches of the eastern Stronghold, below the Rockfellow group.  These two domes are separated by a gully and are easily climbed together regarding objectives.  Both domes feature south facing walls making them a good winter destination as long as the two approach trail options are not buried by heavy snow and melting ice (it happens).  Even in those conditions, the In the Shadows Trail option is not that difficult to navigate.

Cholla Dome features a good selection of easy moderate slab multi pitch or long single pitch climbs.   When you use the In the Shadows Trail, you come to Polychrome Dome first.  Descending downhill from there and bushwhacking north to reach the gully separating the two domes.  Cholla Dome is to the east of the gully and offers a handful of fun 5.8 slab climbs right out of the gully:  Tears for Cholla, 5.8+***, Legend of Choy Chi, 5.8+** and Escape Artist, 5.8**.  On the direct south face are two moderate mixed (trad and bolts) gems:  Cheeseler, 5.8** and Learning to be the Good Girl, 5.9+***.  These two routes share the same start but vary greatly in type.  Cheeseler features a stellar bolted slab 2nd pitch whereas Good Girl offers an outstanding long 2nd pitch with corner stemming, a roof pull and decent slab finish of its own. 

You can approach from either of two trails that take off south from the main trail on the east side of the Stronghold that follows the drainage up to the Rockfellow Group and Cochise Dome.  Both trails veer off south way before you reach the creek above the waterfall rock drainage.  The preferred approach, if focused on these two domes is the Into the Shadows Trail.  It is the highest of the two trail options.  You find it easily as it starts at where you normally cross, on the main trail, a crevassed rock drainage under a significant tree.  Look over your left shoulder and hike east a few meters to locate the trail.  Follow it up and at a cairned split up the hill, stay left.  Turning right leads to Maybe and Likely Domes.  Continue up well cairned (2024) switchbacks.  You eventually arrive above the domes which are located below and to the east, but you cannot see them.  The trail leads you to a col where you are starring directly at Polychrome’s aesthetic SW face.  To reach the gully in between the domes, descend a climber’s trail down and pick a bushwhack line north to reach it.  Making the base of this gully allows access to the largest group of moderates on both domes.  To reach Cheeseler and Good Girl, scramble through boulders heading east from the gully staging area.  The best belay stance is atop a pointy boulder.

Route Description

1st Pitch- 115’-5.7/ This pitch is shorter than the local guide suggests.  Climb straight up from the tallest boulder below the Cheeseler and Learning to be the Good Girl.  Pass a massive dark chicken head on its right and clip intermittent bolts that lead to the obvious flaring crack.  Three bolts total with the crack taking a variety of gear.  The comfortable belay ledge takes a medium to large gear belay on the left side. 

2nd Pitch- 140’-5.8/ This is a thoughtful and sustained slab/edge climb at the grade.  Follow nine bolts as they trend up and left on quality ground at the grade.  A traverse left below a seam to below another seem is the crux.  It is good climbing and perfectly bolted.  You reach the shared summit rap hanger anchor with Tears for Cholla.  There are belay bolts on the summit as well if you rather use those. 

Descent

If climbing Learning to be the Good Girl, you can make a double rope rap down to the 1st belay ledge and then a single 70m rope rap from your own gear back to the start.  You will be able to clean up your gear anchor once you climb the 1st pitch of that route.   Otherwise, one double 60m rope rap just makes it to the gully on the west side, below the start of Tears for Cholla.  A single 60m rope can make it in two raps to the gully utilizing the mid rap anchor on Tears for Cholla.  Watch the end of your ropes as they barely make it in either case, with a single 60m x 2 or 60m doubles.  A short scramble down the gully will return you to your packs. 

Essential Gear

Double 60m ropes if you want to climb both the Cheeseler and Learning to be a Good Girl back-to-back efficiently as you can rap back to the 1st pitch belay ledge and leave gear for a rap back to the start and clean it up when climbing the 2nd of these routes and then rap Tears for Cholla when done with both.  Single 60m will get you down Tears for Cholla in two raps where you can scramble back around to the start if you would rather.  Single from #.4 through #3.  Slings for extension or double ropes will prevent rope drag on the long 2nd pitch.  Route receives sun most all day in the winter.



Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.