Schlierekopf

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Activities Activities: Hiking, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7513 ft / 2290 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Rudiger subgroup within eastern Lechtaler Alpen is a rather remote and unknown small area and shows two faces: The main summits Rudiger and Seelakopf are rocky features with steep and rugged rock faces. All other summits, like Schlierekopf, have one or more soft sides with meadow slopes and hiking trails.

Schlierekopf is a long, south – north running meadow ridge located between Englspitzen and Schlierejoch to the north and Rudiger and Rudigjoch col to the south. The south end of this ridge is called Rudigerkopf. To the east the huge Schlierekar cirque leads down into Rotlech valley with the remote Tarrentonalm. To the west Rudig valley shows down into Namlos valley.

Schlierekopf summit ridge
Schlierekopf summit ridge

Schlierekopf is an easy hike during snow free times of the year. A wide variety of traverse possibilities to Englspitzen, Seelakopf and even Sandegg and Schlierewand make this unknown and not very prominent summit an interesting outing. Winter ascents with skies are possible from Namlos village via Englspitzle and from Kelmen village via Kelmen cirque and Englspitzle. The south and southwest slopes of Rudigerkopf down to Namlos valley offer good downhill options.

It is strange that Schlierewand and Schlierekopf are two summits within the same subgroup with similar names but separated from each other by several more summits. Up to now I did not find any explanation for “Schliere” which might be helpful to understand this denomination.

 

Getting There

Best trailheads for Schlierekopf are Kelmen or Namlos.

By car:

From Reutte or Arlberg direction use road number 198 to Stanzach. Turn on the “Berwang-Namloser Landesstraße”, number L 27, (signs for Namlos, Berwang)

Alternatively use road number 179 from Reutte to Bichlbach and turn on the L 27 road.

From Innsbruck go on highway A 12 to the exit “Telfs”, proceed on road number 189 to Nassereith and on road number 179 to Fernpass, Lermoos and Bichlbach. Follow the signs to Berwang and Namlos on road number L 27.

Take highway A95 from Munich to its end and proceed on road number B2 and B23 / 187 to Lermoos. Turn on road number 179 to Bichlbach and go on road number L 27.

Pass through Berwang and Rinnen, take the right hand road at a road junction after Rinnen, descend into Rotlech valley and pass the river on the roads bridge. Proceed on the road to Namlospass col, about 1 km before the village of Kelmen. There is a small parking area about 500 m after the col on the right or left side of the road. This is the trailhead for Kelmer Kar cirque and Schlierekopf via Englspitzen.

Namlos trailhead: There is a small parking area immediately at a switchback of the L 27 at Namlos; or you enter the village and look for a possibility to park your car without disturbing the locals …

Schlierekopf as seen from Steinkarlspitze ascent seems very unspectacular
Schlierekopf as seen from Steinkarlspitze ascent seems very unspectacular

Public transportation:

Nearby railroad station is: Bichlbach

Bus number 151 goes to Rinnen.

There is no public transportation to Kelmen or Namlos as far as I know.

 

Routes Overview

Routes of Rudiger subgroup

Kelmen trailhead:

Take the forest road from the parking area to the south. Take the trail at the end of the road, cross the Kelmen creek and ascend the trail southbound first west of the creek then crossing it and ascending east of the creek into Kelmenkar and a trail junction.

Take the right hand trail leading to Kelmen forest service hut where the trail fades out. Go off trail in southwest direction up to the col between Englspitzen and Kalter Stein. A bit below the col a trail restarts. It follows the steep northwest ridge up to Englspitzle and from there the west ridge below the two Englspitzen peaks. Traverse level to broad Schlierejoch col and follow the north ridge to Schlierekopf.

The west ridge of Schlierekopf with Rudigkopf at its end and with mighty Namloser Wetterspitze
The west ridge of Schlierekopf with Rudigkopf at its end and with mighty Namloser Wetterspitze
Schlierekopf and Schlierejoch col with dark Rudiger and towering Heiterwand
Schlierekopf and Schlierejoch col with dark Rudiger and towering Heiterwand

Namlos trailhead:

Follow the road L21 in Kelmen direction, passing by the switchback, until a forest road branches off to the right. Follow this road to a clearing with an Alm hut (Amslboden). Leave the road at a switchback and follow a trail into Englbach valley, crossing Engl creek and advancing to the west ridge up to Englspitzle. Take the west ridge below the two Englspitzen peaks. Traverse level to broad Schlierejoch col and follow the north ridge to Schlierekopf.

Alternavtively enter Namlos valley to the south on a forest road. Follow this road until it ends deep within the Namlos valley. Take the trail continuing shortly into the valley. At the first trail junction take the left hand trail going up the southwest and west ridge to Rudigerkopf, an unimportant secondary summit, and continue on the ridge to Schlierekopf.

Both Namlos routes can be combined to a nice loop route.

Traverse route: Englspitzen and southwest ridge to Seelakopf, easy, some scrambling near the summit of Seelakopf.

Schlierekopf summit view: Seelakopf and Englspitzen with Schlierejoch
Schlierekopf summit view: Seelakopf and Englspitzen with Schlierejoch

Ski routes:

The two Namlos summer routes are ski routes, too.

 

Red Tape & Accommodation

No red tape as far as I know

Schlierekopf summit ridge with Lechtal Alps
Schlierekopf summit ridge with Lechtal Alps
Schlierekopf as seen from Englspitze cross summit
Schlierekopf as seen from Englspitze cross summit

You find accommodation at:

Berwang

Rinnen

Kelmen

Namlos

 

There are no mountain huts around.

 

Gear & Mountain Condition

Schlierekopf can be summited nearly the whole year. It is an easy hiking summit in late spring, summer and autumn and requires normal hiking gear.

In winter it is a moderate ski tour and needs full ski tour and avalanche gear.

See the Tirol avalanche bulletin here.

Weather condition:

Broad Schlierekopf (center) with the many Lechtal Alps peaks in the background as seen from Steinkarlspitze
Broad Schlierekopf (center) with the many Lechtal Alps peaks in the background as seen from Steinkarlspitze
Schlierekopf summit view to dark Rudiger and to the Heitwerwand peaks
Schlierekopf summit view to dark Rudiger and to the Heitwerwand peaks

Map

Alpenvereinskarte, scale 1 : 25000

number 3 / 4, Lechtaler Alpen, Heiterwand und Muttekopfgebiet

with trails and ski routes, UTM grid edition 2020