Fahsteigenschneid

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 5177 ft / 1578 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Fahsteigenschneid is the junction point of three ridges. Fahsteigenschneid itself is the northeast ridge of the summit, the ridge to Hochbrunstkopf and Richtstrichkopf is the northwest ridge. Both embrace Fahsteigen creek valley. The south ridge runs to Kreuzschneid and to Wildalphorn.

The summit itself is a mere bump in this ridge system. Only the fact that the northwest ridge to Hochbrunstkopf drops down steeply for about 150 meters gives Fahsteigenschneid a summit – like appearance.

Fahsteigenschneid is part of the traverse Lödensee - Hochbrunstkopf - Kreuzschneid - Wildalphorn and Dürrnbachhorn and is - I think - rarely summited without doing this traverse. The steep and mostly wet north face climb makes Fahsteigenschneid a more demanding outing.

Dürrnbachhorn secondary summits
Dürrnbachhorn secondary summits

Getting There

Trailhead is Lödensee parking area west of Langer Sand valley.

Please see the Dürrnbachhorn main page for further information.

 

Route

Dürrnbachhorn and its secondary summits, routes overview

Located south of Hochbrunstkopf, north of Kreuzschneid and northeast of Wildalphorn, Fahsteigenschneid is part of the eastern north route to Dürrnbachhorn or part of the full northern traverse of this summit.

Fahsteigenschneid summit with Dürrnbachhorn, Wildalphorn and Kreuzschneid (from right to left)
Fahsteigenschneid summit with Dürrnbachhorn, Wildalphorn and Kreuzschneid (from right to left)
The crux of Fahsteigenschneid: slippery and wet steep grade II rocks, secured with some ropes
The crux of Fahsteigenschneid: slippery and wet steep grade II rocks, secured with some ropes

Funnily enough Fahsteigenschneid is the most difficult summit of these routes. The north face of Fahsteigenschneid is a steep and mostly wet rock face, a system of slippery chutes and slabs in not very stable rock (UIAA grade I / II). Long climbing ropes secure this part of the ascent / descent. These flexible ropes cannot be used for self belay. Nevertheless they are helpful to overcome this uncomfortable part of the eastern north ridge route.

The Fahsteigenschneid northern rock face with the roped route
The Fahsteigenschneid northern rock face with the roped route

The traverse Kreuzschneid – Fahsteigenschneid is an easy narrow trail with some short and steep rock steps.

Red Tape & Accommodation

See the Dürrnbachhorn main page for area restrictions and for accommodation.

Gear & Mountain Condition

Fahsteigenschneid is a hiking summit throughout late spring, summer and autumn. It is a moderate difficult hike on steep, mainly unmarked and narrow hunter trails.

The northern ascent od descent to/from Fahsteigenschneid is a steep and wet grade I / II rock climb, which is secured with some ropes. Nevertheless you need climbing skills as self belying is not possible.

Dwarf pine overgrown Fahsteigenschneid (left of center) in front of the mighty mountains of Watzmann, Stadelhorn and Hocheisspitze, as seen from the meadows below Grundwandkopf
Dwarf pine overgrown Fahsteigenschneid (left of center) in front of the mighty mountains of Watzmann, Stadelhorn and Hocheisspitze, as seen from the meadows below Grundwandkopf

Weather condition:

 

Map

Alpenvereinskarte Bayerische Alpen, scale 1 : 25000

number BY18, Chiemgauer Alpen Mitte, Hochgern, Hochfelln

with trails, ski and snow shoe routes and UTM grid

edition 2017



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Chiemgau AlpsMountains & Rocks