Hochbrunstkopf

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.68518°N / 12.63190°E
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 4918 ft / 1499 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hochbrunstkopf sits on the eastern north ridge of Dürrnbachhorn and is part of the full Dürrnbachhorn traverse on the northern ascent – descent routes. Sometimes Hochbrunstkopf is summited on its own, mostly by locals doing a short afternoon outing.

Located between Fahsteigenscheid to the south and Richtstrichkopf, a subsummit without trail, Hochbrunstkopf is bordered by Fahsteigen valley to the east and Langer Sand valley to the west.

 

Hochbrunstkopf as seen from Fahsteigenschneid, Langer Sand valley and a part of Lödensee on the left
Hochbrunstkopf as seen from Fahsteigenschneid, Langer Sand valley and a part of Lödensee on the left

Getting There

Trailhead is Lödensee parking area west of Langer Sand valley.

Please see the Dürrnbachhorn main page for further information.

Routes Overview

 

Starting at the Langer Sand / Lödenbach parking areas follow the forest road or alternatively a trail along the eastern limitation of Langer Sand valley. Follow the trail at the end of the forest road which zigzags up to the broad col between Hochbrunstkopf and Richtstrichkopf. This trail simply is beautiful! Turn south on the col and follow the trail shortly up to the summit.

 

Hochbrunstkopf summit with Kreuzschneid (left), Wildalphorn and Dürrnbachhorn (right)
Hochbrunstkopf summit with Kreuzschneid (left), Wildalphorn and Dürrnbachhorn (right)

To continue to Fahsteigenschneid descent steeply to the south and follow a short rocky ridge into the deepest part of the broad col between Fahsteigenschneid and Hochbrunstkopf. Climb then over rock slabs and some steep and mostly wet rock steps up to the dwarf pine zone below Fahsteigenschneid. The trail brings you up to this adjacent summit. The rock part is secured with ropes. The rocks are wet even when it is fine weather. This is the crux part of the whole Dürrnbachhorn traverse on the north routes.

Red Tape & Accommodation

See the Dürrnbachhorn main page for area restrictions and for accommodation.

Gear & Mountain Condition

Hochbrunstkopf is a hiking summit throughout late spring, summer and autumn. It is a moderate difficult hike on steep, mainly unmarked and narrow hunter trails. The route to/from Fahsteigenschneid is a steep and wet rock climb, which is secured with some ropes. Nevertheless you need climbing skills as self belying is not possible.

 

Summit view from Hochbrunstkopf to Reifelberge, Hochstaufen / Zwiesel in the background
Summit view from Hochbrunstkopf to Reifelberge, Hochstaufen / Zwiesel in the background

Weather condition for Dürrnbachhorn:

Map

Alpenvereinskarte Bayerische Alpen, scale 1 : 25000

number BY18, Chiemgauer Alpen Mitte, Hochgern, Hochfelln

with trails, ski and snow shoe routes and UTM grid

edition 2017

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Chiemgau AlpsMountains & Rocks