Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5548 ft / 1691 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Gurnwandkopf and its immediate neighbour Hörndlwand is located in the central Chiemgauer Berge subrange of Chiemgau Alps. It is a rather steep and rocky summit, showing a steep and impressive rockface to the north and equally steep slopes to the west and the south. Amidst rocky outcrops and dwarf pine thickets there is a delightful meadow zone to the south directly below the summit ridge between Gurnwandkopf to the west and Hörndlwand to the east. This broad and nearly level meadow is a real sundeck with an impressive view and merits a walk to the top of these two mountains.

Gurnwandkopf as seen from near Dürrnbachhorn
Gurnwandkopf as seen from near Dürrnbachhorn
Gurnwandkopf summit with a view to the southwest
Gurnwandkopf summit with a view to the southwest

Gurnwandkopf is bordered by the Weitsee -, Mittersee – and Lödensee valley to the south, Urschlauer Achen valley to the north, Wappbach valley to the west and Ostertal with its huge cirque to the east. Important neighbour summits are Dürrnbachhorn to the south and Hochfelln with its many secondary summits to the north. The peaks east and west of Gurnwandkopf are less high and less important.

The summit rocks and rockfaces of Gurnwandkopf and Hörndlwand are built of a middle triassic limestone algae reef, the so called Wettersteinkalk. Thanks to much softer marlstones of the so called Raibler Schichten, a younger geological unit of the upper Triassic times, erosion built the beautiful sundeck on the south side of the summit Wetterstein rocks. The steep northern rock faces mark an important tectonic structure of the Northern Limestone Alps: the so called “Staufen-Höllengebirgs nappe” is thrusted over the northern Bavarian Lechtal nappe. This tectonic structure can be seen across the whole of Chiemgau Alps from Bad Reichenhall to the east to Reit im Winkl and to Inntal valley to the west. You cross this structure at the north side of Gurnwandkopf on the route from Urschlau.

Getting There

Trailheads are:

Seehaus (hikers parking area) at road B 305 between Ruhpolding and Reit im Winkl

Lödensee parking area on the same road

Weitsee parking areas on the same route

Urschlau north of Gurnwandkopf

Gurnwandkopf (right) as seen from the north (Hochgern)
Gurnwandkopf (right) as seen from the north (Hochgern)
Gurnwandkopf north slopes
Gurnwandkopf north slopes

By car:

From Munich on highway A8 to exit Bernau am Chiemsee. Follow road number B305 to Grassau, Marquartstein, Reit im Winkl and to the trailheads.

From Salzburg likewise on highway A 8 to exit Traunstein/Siegsdorf. Follow first road B 306 and then to the right on road ST2098 to Ruhpolding. Go to road number B 305 and follow this road to the trailheads.

From Inntal and Kufstein directions exit the Inntal highway at Kufstein Nord and follow road number 175 and then 172 to Kössen and Reit im Winkl. From there follow road number B 305 to the trailheads.

The Seehaus, Lödensee and Weitsee trailheads are north of road B 305. From west to east:

  • Parking area “Röthelmoos” for the Weitsee route
  • Parking area “Weitsee” for the Lödensee routes
  • Parking area “Langer Sand” for the Lödensee routes
  • Parking area “Seehaus Ruhpolding” for the Seehaus routes

The Urschlau trailhead is at the end of road from Ruhpolding to Brand and Urschlau.

Public transportation:

The nearest railroad station is Ruhpolding. Bus number 9506 goes from the railway station to the trailhead “Seehaus”, to a bus stop at Lödensee for Lödensee routes and to a bus stop at Weitsee for the Lödensee and the Weitsee route.

Routes Overview

 

Seehaus route:

Take the left hand forest road up to Branderalm.

Alternatively take the right hand forest road up to its second switchback and follow the trail, branching off to the left, up to Branderalm.

At Branderalm take the trail in western direction into the woods. At a trail junction:

  • go left and follow the trail up Ostertal to the summit meadow. Follow the trail in western direction and at last in northern direction up to Grundwandkopf.
  • alternatively go right and climb up to beautiful Hörndlalm. Follow Jägersteig up the north slope to a col between Hörndlwand and Gurnwandkopf. Take the right hand trail first west and then north to Gurnwandkopf summit.

Both routes form a loop route.

Branderalm
Branderalm
Jägersteig and Gurnwandkopf
Jägersteig and Gurnwandkopf

Lödensee route:

From Lödensee parking area follow the forest road north of Lödensee westbound. At the western end of Lödensee look out for a trail branching off to the right. Follow this trail up to a trail junction. Both, left and right hand trail go up to abandoned Hochkienbergalm. They unite there, one trail continues up to the summit meadow and to Gurnwandkopf.

There is an alternative trailhead / parking area between Mittersee and Weitsee. Shortly follow a forest road up; after the first switchback a trail branches off to the right and zigzags up to the above mentioned trail junction with Lödensee trail. Follow this route up to the summit as described above.

The trailheads are linked with a forest road along the shores of Mittersee and Lödensee and form a nice route loop.

View from Hörndlwand to Gurnwandkopf
View from Hörndlwand to Gurnwandkopf
Gurnwandkopf summit meadows
Gurnwandkopf summit meadows

Weitsee route:

From the parking area “Röthelmoos” follow the forest road along Wappbach valley and creek to Rötelmoosalm. There is a forest road junction before you reach the Alm. Take the second one to the right till its end and follow the trail up to ex Hochkienberg Alm and the summit meadows. Take the northbound trail up to Gurnwandkopf.

Urschlau route:

From Urschlau follow the road to the west and cross the Urschlauer Achen creek on the first bridge. Follow the trail first alongside the creek then up the north slopes to another forest road. Follow this road to the east and north until you reach a switchback. Go on the trail branching off from the road and follow it up to Hörndlalm. Go on Jägersteig as described above (Seehaus route).

Ostertal trail
Ostertal trail
Summit meadows
Summit meadows

Summit zone entertainment:

Gurnwandkopf, as neighbouring Hörndlwand (Hörndlwand main summit and Hörndlwand east summit), has two summits each with a summit cross. You can traverse these two summits on a narrow trail within dwarf pines. Continue to Hörndlwand summits and go back on the trail alongside the summit meadow.

Ski Route:

Weitsee parking area – Wappbachtal valley to Röthelmoos – western chute to the summit plateau – south slope to the summit.

Downhill likewise. It seems to me that it is not a very popular ski route and, as large parts go through woods, not a very attractive one and need much snow. It seems to me, too, that it touches a winter wildlife protection area, which is located on the south side of Gurnwandkopf and Hörndlwand along the summit meadows. So it might be a forbidden route, too.

 

Red Tape & Accommodation

Red Tape:

Gurnwandkopf is part of the nature protection areaNaturschutzgebiet Östliche Chiemgauer Alpen”.

There are no entrance regulations or fees. Protected are mainly very rare birds which still live in the mountain woods.

Their protection time is march through july of each year.

There is a winter wildlife protection area along the summit slopes and the southern meadows during snowcover times. No skiing or snow shoe tour is allowed during this time.

 

Accommodation:

Ruhpolding

Reit im Winkl

 

Mountain huts:

Branderalm (only food and drinks)

Summit view to Großvenediger
Summit view to Großvenediger
Summit view to eastern Chiemgau Alps
Summit view to eastern Chiemgau Alps

Gear & Mountain Condition

Gurnwandkopf is an easy hike in late spring, summer and autumn on good trails and on narrow, nearly forgotten trails, depending on your route choice.

You need hiking gear and good boots.

The ski route in winter and spring needs a good amount of snow, large parts are within woods. You need full ski tout gear. Avalanche danger seems low on this route as the main part is within woods, nevertheless don´t forget your avalanche gear. Check the Bavarian avalanche bulletin here.

Weather condition:

Map

Alpenvereinskarte scale 1 : 25000

number BY 18, Chiemgauer Alpen Mitte

with trails and ski routes and UTM-grid; edition 2020

Summer Wildflowers

Helianthemum nummularium, the sun rose, on the Gurnwandkopf summit
Helianthemum nummularium, the sun rose, on the Gurnwandkopf summit
A huge bunch of Anemone narcissiflora below Gurnwandkopf summit
A huge bunch of Anemone narcissiflora below Gurnwandkopf summit
Anemone narcissiflora on the northern slopes of Gurnwandkopf
Anemone narcissiflora on the northern slopes of Gurnwandkopf
Crepis aurea flowers near Branderalm - Gurnwandkopf
Crepis aurea flowers near Branderalm - Gurnwandkopf

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Chiemgau AlpsMountains & Rocks